Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Apple computers-experiences?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

I'm applying to an online university and am considering buying an apple computer for it. I've owned an ipad for a few months and really like it. One of the reasons I'm considering switching is the computer I own is starting to get slow-my adobe flash player says crashed and I can't seem to update it, Internet explorer I get a message saying its stopped working. I went to the control panel and clicked update but it didn't seem to do much. Are these types of things better with an apple computer? Is the tech support worth the apple care plan? Also I need to learn excel, Microsoft word, and spreadsheets to be ready to be an online student. Would taking a class at a local community class help or are those programs too different with apple? Any info helps!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsm3
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:29 PM

i love mac computers but compatibility with some things can be tricky. for example, apple has their own version of "microsoft office" (called iwork) which in turn has their own version of a spreadsheet, word, powerpoint etc.  you can usually use windows programs with these but sometimes the formatting is off.  or you can just buy microsoft for mac and install it.

wrt programs like excel, word, powerpoint etc, they are the same with macs but like i said, if you use a windows word doc in the mac version of word (called pages), some of the formatting might be different or won't be compatible.  either way, the baseline functions of these programs are the same (ie. you still use functions etc in excel/numbers; you still type essays and format paragraphs/text in word/pages; you still do presentations in powerpoint/keynote) .

other than that, i LOVE macs compared to windows machines. 

jesusismyfriend
by Love All on May. 31, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Do not get apple care. I asked te store I bought mine from and it is a waste of money sice they said most problems occur while the 1 year warranty is in place. I love my MacBook Pro. It is fast.  Take the time to get to know it. I would suggest going into a Mac store. It is different from a pc. Also, if you want to do schooling I would suggest buying Microsoft student and office esp. For an online school. I currently go to school and I hane I works. I can type something up on my iPad or phone using the iWork's app save it to the cloud and get on my MacBook and finish typing it. This has Sade me lots during English class. I can also print wirelessly from all devices.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Well I don't know how to use PowerPoint or excel yet. Do yo know where I'd take classes to learn them for Mac? 

Quoting itsm3:

i love mac computers but compatibility with some things can be tricky. for example, apple has their own version of "microsoft office" (called iwork) which in turn has their own version of a spreadsheet, word, powerpoint etc.  you can usually use windows programs with these but sometimes the formatting is off.  or you can just buy microsoft for mac and install it.

wrt programs like excel, word, powerpoint etc, they are the same with macs but like i said, if you use a windows word doc in the mac version of word (called pages), some of the formatting might be different or won't be compatible.  either way, the baseline functions of these programs are the same (ie. you still use functions etc in excel/numbers; you still type essays and format paragraphs/text in word/pages; you still do presentations in powerpoint/keynote) .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Is Microsoft student seperate software?

Quoting jesusismyfriend:

Do not get apple care. I asked te store I bought mine from and it is a waste of money sice they said most problems occur while the 1 year warranty is in place. I love my MacBook Pro. It is fast.  Take the time to get to know it. I would suggest going into a Mac store. It is different from a pc. Also, if you want to do schooling I would suggest buying Microsoft student and office esp. For an online school. I currently go to school and I hane I works. I can type something up on my iPad or phone using the iWork's app save it to the cloud and get on my MacBook and finish typing it. This has Sade me lots during English class. I can also print wirelessly from all devices.

vgmomof2grtkds
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I love mine! iWork is really great as well! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Details please :)

Quoting vgmomof2grtkds:

I love mine! iWork is really great as well! :)

jesusismyfriend
by Love All on May. 31, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I Microsoft student seperate software?

Quoting jesusismyfriend:

Yes. Make sure you buy the version for the Mac. It is  about $100. 

jesusismyfriend
by Love All on May. 31, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I will add this. The store I bought murine from had people who had theirs for 10 years. They went in to get the newest software up graded on it.

MrsApple
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM

"Once you go Mac,you never go back!"

But seriously,I did school online using a couple of our Macs and never had a issue with any compatibility with programs or anything.It all depends on the school/class and the programs they use/require.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:52 PM
there's Microsoft office for apple now.

Quoting itsm3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)