Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't afford AC in 100 degree weather... UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies

My neighbor cam and knocked on our door yesturday saying that her electricity had been shut off and she can't afford to get it back on right now. She asked if she could run a couple power cords for a fan and light and her fridge. I told her yes for now. We have a hard time paying our bills, but we live in Arizona and electricity is extemely important! It was 100 degrees today and it's only gonna get worse. We make sure we put money aside every paycheck so we can make sure rent and electricty is paid on time or before hand! If that means no movies or going out to eat, so be it! But I'm not gonna let my kids not have any freaking AC in this hot ass state. What I don't understand is, our neighbor has herself, her 5 year old boy, her grown daughter and her daughters husband all living with her. I know for a fact that all the adults in the house work, and the daughter and husband drive a new car. I always see the family coming in to the house with take out, or mcdonalds.. the mother is a chain smoker and is constantly on the patio smoking, and they have parties every freaking weekend (loud and obnoxious), so I know that they're buying alcohol too. It just makes me sad that they can do all this, but not afford electricity. I offered to let the little boy come over and play at our house, so he won't be sitting over there in the heat and she said no :(  I just wanted to vent

UPDATE: My SO just got home from work, and I had him go tell her it was a fire risk and we needed to unplug the cords. Well, I walked out side a couple minutes later and she was outside too, she gave me a dirty look walked inside her house and slammed the door. WOW, no thanks? People are so grateful, huh? Last time I help her out :( I feel for that little boy--and no, I'm not trolling, I wish I was
Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 7:03 PM

bump

LACHESIS
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Sorry, no way I'd share. I am in Mesa. 

bmcandmmh
by Crazy Cat Lady on May. 31, 2013 at 7:04 PM
I can never understand people who don't know how to manage their money. She needs to stop smoking so she can pay electricity.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:04 PM
3 moms liked this
You can call cps if they aren't caring for their son properly
britmichele
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:05 PM
I really hope you're trollin
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:05 PM
2 moms liked this
You know can get in trouble from the electric company for what you are doing. They can actually fine you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I lived in AZ for awhile and had my electricity turned off once. An online payment didnt go through and we were shut off for the whole weekend (they shut us off friday and wouldnt come out until monday) i thought I was going to die. It was 115+ the whole time 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
cigarettes are freaking expensive! almost 8 a pack. If your buying more than 7 a week.. that's about $224 a month. Our electric bill was only $175 this month. Yea.. she needs to quit smoking
Quoting bmcandmmh:

I can never understand people who don't know how to manage their money. She needs to stop smoking so she can pay electricity.

Dcjgar01
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I love 100 degree weather with no a/c but I am a native. My husband turns it on when he gets home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM

AC is a luxury, not a necessity. We didn't have it till last year and we survived just fine. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)