Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I bought the big giraffe... and they were jealous *Update 6/6 pic*

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM
  • 79 Replies
11 moms liked this

As of Monday, my daughter will have been in the PICU 3 weeks. She was admitted on her birthday with pneumonia, and it was a long road with a rough recovery, and then ended with surgery for a Gtube placement.

Every time I passed the gift shop, I saw this giant stuffed giraffe. She loves looking at stuffed animals, so I considered picking it up. It hadn't been bought the entire time, and that may have been because of the price, and it's quite large. I know that finding the right spot for a big stuffed animal can be interesting.

Since we found out that one of the few pleasures she had left, drinking chocolate milk through her Nuby cup, was taken from her, I knew I wanted to give her something special.

Today, I went in and bought it. As we brought it to the PICU, several of the nurses said, "She has the giraffe! I wanted that giraffe; it's so cute". My daughter's room already attracts a lot of attention, and she loved the fact that this brought even more.

I took her hand, and helped her pet it, and the smile on her face made it worth every penny... and more.

This is a picture with her and Geraldine the Giraffe. :)

I want to add that she can no longer drink because a swallow study concluded that she silently aspirates. This means that liquids, even thickened liquids, go down her windpipe, and she doesn't cough or react. This can be extremely dangerous.

Update: Thank you BethSunshine for the scarf for the Giraffe. :) Miss Ciara had just gotten up from her nap, and stared at it for quite a while.

I also want to add that she came home. :) She's a bit congested, but otherwise fine.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Hugs :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Your an awesome mom. Im sure it made her day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashley1693
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM

She's such a cutie. and your an amazing mom. Hope she gets better and out of the hospital soon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM
It's cute! Hope she is better soon!
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Poor baby. I hope that Geraldine brings her joy. :-)
AJsMom81507
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:12 PM

she's beautiful.. and the look of love for the giraffe is written all over her face

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:12 PM
She is beautiful and I am not talking about the giraffe.
hippiemom45
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:12 PM
that is so sweet to get it for her. and i hope she gets better soon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Awww! I'm glad you brought some joy to her!!
Pollymom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Aaawww, good job mom! Sometimes, the little extra splurge is totally worth it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)