Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mixed race couples/children- Cheerios commercial

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 78 Replies

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/31/cheerios-commercial-racist-backlash_n_3363507.html

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but my daughter was just telling me about all the racist comments (on YouTube) that Cheerios was getting for having a mixed race family in their commercial. I was really surprised by this. For those of you with children of mixed race, do you experience a lot of negativity?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM
2 moms liked this

SJG1013
by SJG on May. 31, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Yup, but I don't let it get to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Ok, so we were wondering if it had to do with where you live. I've only lived on the east and west coast. Do you live in the middle of the country?  I have to say, that while my son is mixed race, he doesn't really look it. My dh is Native American. We experience more flack from the tribe! Some of the older ones hate the white man and want to keep Native blood pure. It's one of the reasons my husband was hesitant to move to the Rez :/

Quoting SJG1013:

SJG1013
by SJG on May. 31, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Florida, and I hear that it happens a lot here. My friends mom got a lot of it while here back in the 80's.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok, so we were wondering if it had to do with where you live. I've only lived on the east and west coast. Do you live in the middle of the country?  I have to say, that while my son is mixed race, he doesn't really look it. My dh is Native American. We experience more flack from the tribe! Some of the older ones hate the white man and want to keep Native blood pure. It's one of the reasons my husband was hesitant to move to the Rez :/

Quoting SJG1013:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I can't tell you how much that bums me out :/ I mean jeez, we are all human.

Quoting SJG1013:

Florida, and I hear that it happens a lot here. My friends mom got a lot of it while here back in the 80's.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SJG1013:

blue.chairs
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM
No. I can only think of one instance that was negative, but I can't even recall the details, lol.
iheartmiboys
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Not much too our faces, but definitely behind our backs.
Amiehart62
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Mobile Photo

I have been asked if I was my sons nanny....when they were first born! Here we are! It's the only time it has ever happened.

No I'm not Asian....just forcing a smile. Lol
hp2011
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Not that I'm aware of
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Mixed babies are so pretty!! I think they're so adorable :) I don't understand how people can still have issues with this in this day and age

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)