Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wedding gift amount calculator

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:31 PM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

so i know 90% of CM people give an actual gift when attending a wedding, but i didnt know this until i joined CM...

so for those who give money, this site is a fun way to calculate how much to give

http://theweddingenvelope.com

i did it for my friends wedding, and it actually told me to give her $100 less than what i was planning...

by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SJG1013
by SJG on May. 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Good to know.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM

It calculated about 65% of what I just gave one person

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM

And for the record we always give cash, never heard of bringing a gift to the wedding.

We give the gifts off the registry at the bridal shower.

Cash at the wedding.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I think it is off. It said I should give my cousin $265....and I'm not even attending the wedding.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I always heard that etiquette suggested you give what you normally spend for an evening out. That calculator was double that--i think maybe a bride must have created it LOL

JLS2388
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Wow, we way under-gifted to DH's sister for her wedding but then again, she didn't even bother to come or send a gift to ours so I say we get points just for going and bringing anything

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Interesting.
JLS2388
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Or if you buy a gift for the wedding, you can send it to the brides home BEFORE the wedding. However, that is usually people who won't make it to the wedding anyway

Quoting Anonymous:

And for the record we always give cash, never heard of bringing a gift to the wedding.

We give the gifts off the registry at the bridal shower.

Cash at the wedding.

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM
They said to give that to my cousin's wedding and I'm traveling 1500 miles for it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it is off. It said I should give my cousin $265....and I'm not even attending the wedding.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I always heard that etiquette suggested you give what you normally spend for an evening out. That calculator was double that--i think maybe a bride must have created it LOL

From the questions, it seems the algorithm is based on estimated costs per head  for the type of wedding in question, and within your financial budget and how much you will spend attending.

I just did it for the last 3 weddings I attended and each time it gave a figure of only 30-65% of what I actually gave.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)