Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My moms getting married. Would this upset you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
My mom lives 5 hours from me. She has for the last 6 years(she is the one who moved). Well last week we were talking about my youngest ds first birthday party in September. She was planning on coming to his party, but now she just dropped that she's planning on getting married. Now I have never met this man but whatever makes her happy. The problem is she wants to get married at my church(she has known my pastor for years), the day after ds birthday, two days before his party. My best friend makes cakes and is an amazing party planner, and now my mom has asked her to make her wedding cake and help with decorations. She agreed because it's my mom even though we have been planning ds' s party for over a month. And now since the wedding is here she is expecting me to help her with food, decorations, and all the stuff like that. This less than four months away. I work full time and also have a five year old.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MonarchMom22
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Why don't you just decide how much you can do for your Mom's wedding and let her know.  Then she can make her plans.

Better to do less, but with good feelings , then to try to do more than you want and resent it.

And while you might not like the two events close together I don't assume it has anything to so with you son's birthday.  Usually people getting married are quite focused on the major life change they are making and overlook how the date effects others.  I would cut her some slack on that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Why does she want you to help with food, can she not afford to pay for it herself?

Connie04
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I wouldn't worry about it.  You have two special occasions within a few days of each other.  It's definitely doable and it will be a lot of fun.  You might want to remind your mom that you might not be able to get as involved as she'd like because of your schedule.  Just do what you can and have fun :-)!

dtm1491
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I am sure it is not going to be a big huge affair like a first wedding would be. Just do the best you can. She is your Mom. I am sure she will understand that her granchildren come first.

anotherhalf
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I don't see the big deal. So you'll have two big events close together.  It just sounds like it will a busy summer but it will pass before you know it.  Just be clear with your mom that you are really excited to do whatever it is that you actually have time to do.

LiesLiesLies
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Damn...it's your mom...be excited to help her!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM
It really not about the dates. It just that she wants me to do so much and expects me to drop everything because it's her wedding. At first it was just a few things. Now I'm in charge the food, location, lodging for her friends coming up for the wedding. If I try and tell her I can't then she flips because "if easier for me since I live here". I love her an wouldn't mind helping but she knows we have been planning this party for a while.

Quoting MonarchMom22:

Why don't you just decide how much you can do for your Mom's wedding and let her know.  Then she can make her plans.

Better to do less, but with good feelings , then to try to do more than you want and resent it.

And while you might not like the two events close together I don't assume it has anything to so with you son's birthday.  Usually people getting married are quite focused on the major life change they are making and overlook how the date effects others.  I would cut her some slack on that.

mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I'm not seeing what the issue is?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 31, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 8:24 PM
I do love my mom and I truly am happy for her, it's just getting overwhelming.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)