Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

s/o Question for nonsmokers

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM
  • 17 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you tell someone to put out their ciggerette if you were on their property (in their home car etc...)

Options:

yes

no

maybe

i just wouldn't go to visit

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 38

View Results

So the other post got me thinking I am a nonsmoker but I don't believe in telling others what they can do in their home or on their property on the other hand my mil smokes like a freight train in a non-ventilated house.

She also has some dogs that are house dogs and use those puppy pad things to do their business on. Anyway her house smells so bad but I would never tell someone that so we don't go over much and I spent most of last Christmas out on the porch because I couldn't breathe (i have lung problems) 

It didn't bother me but people kept trying to get me to go back in and I couldn't say no i don't want to go back in there your house smells. lol

so anyway i would never say anything but we also don't go over there much. Just wondering what other nonsmokers did?

by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meparty
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

model1000mom
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Nah I would just not visit them if it was that bad but you cant help who your family are so I most likely wouldnt say anything and only stay for a short period of time.

angelachristine
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM

that's pretty much what I did. I just kinda vaguely said I need some air and sat on the porch for a bit.  I would never say anything to her although they all know I was in the hospital for a month with lung problems so she might know why we don't come over much idk. 

Quoting model1000mom:

Nah I would just not visit them if it was that bad but you cant help who your family are so I most likely wouldnt say anything and only stay for a short period of time.

HaleyCovington
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM
No. My mom,sister and DH smoke. I have rules about it at my house and in my car so how can I expect them to follow my wishes in my home if I don't respect theirs at their home. DH is a little different because obviously this is his house too but we both agreed that if he was going to do it with us being together than he must do it outside and not in the car. I grew up in a house where my mom smoked and I hated it. My clothes always reeked of cigarette smoke and I vowed I'd never subject my kids to something like that because of my own bad habits.
cntrdmom
by Sapphire Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:22 PM
This is exactly why I don't go to my grandma's they shove like 10 smokers in a double wide trailer and have a good time. They won't come to my house because they spend the whole time outside smoking. Constantly walking outside to smoke.
My dh smokes but he respects me a lot and smokes outside and doesn't smoke much at all when he's home.
JJsmommy4evr
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:23 PM

No, that would be rude. I wouldn't be in that situation to begin with, if I could help it. The majority of my family smokes and it has been years since I have been near them, and  I have never taken my children around them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 8:24 PM
If they want my kids at their house, they'll keep it smoke-free.
I had this battle with my in-laws and stopped bringing my kids over because they couldn't respect my children.
I won't even let my kids in my BFF's car because she smokes in it.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 31, 2013 at 8:24 PM

No. It's their house/car.

SP_Mama
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:26 PM

No, I wouldn't.  One of the reasons I don't take the kids to visit my dad very often though is because he's a heavy smoker and his house reeks and I refuse to put my kids through that...especially since DS suffers from bad allergies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM
I wouldn't TELL them to stop, I just couldn't go over there. If they ASKED, I'd just tell the truth. I doubt it's something they've never heard before.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)