Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm a homeschooling failure :( Where did I go wrong?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:11 PM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

Naturally, I homeschool to make sure my daughter is socially inept, never makes friends outside the ones I choose for her who fit our world-view exactly, to keep her away from sports/activities, and encourage "weird" interests. Now I feel like a total failure, because this plan has backfired so spectacularly.

My homeschooled child spends more time with her (formerly public schooled) best friend and neighborhood friends (almost all public schooled, how horrifying!) than with me lately, hardly so much as a "bye mama, I'll be home by dinner!" They take off and go places by themselves, and she doesn't even cry for me or get scared of the big, scary, threatening, outside world! She has friends all over the country (and world) from sports and regularly Skypes, hand-writes and visits them. She's flown on a plane by herself to visit a friend in California and this summer will be flying to see ones who live all the way in Louisiana. I thought homeschooling was supposed to make her afraid to leave the living room without me, let alone the yard or the city or our state?

She hasn't accepted my religious views completely either. Of course I homeschooled her to make sure outside opinions weren't allowed in and she wasn't allowed to develop her own. More failure. They got in anyway and my attempt to raise a militant atheist Darwin Warrior backfired when she started attending a UU with her honorary grandmother (my mistake there, letting people with other views into her life) and now claims a belief in a greater force in the universe. THough I guess since hse's not calling it "god" it's still not a total loss.

Worst of all, she stands up for herself! To anyone, including bullies and adults, and me, when I'm being unfair! I thought not being bullied in school was going to make her subservient, weak, malleable, and so sensitive that she'd crumble the moment someone looked at her disapprovingly.

Where did I go wrong!? I did all the right things to make sure my child was socially inept, weird, uninvolved, meek, scared of the outside world, and only accepted my views. Why hasn't it worked!?

“If, after hearing my songs, just one human being is inspired to say something nasty to a friend or perhaps to strike a loved one, it will all have been worth the while.” ― Tom Lehrer

by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Wow you're such a failure...lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beethann
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Devil woman! You did sooo wrong! What's the matter with you??!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
softkitty369
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
God, I hope that this is a troll. Because this is the most assinine thing I've ever heard.
NorthStar09
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I know :( I tried my best to keep her from being "socialized," but alas, my efforts were in vain.

Quoting owl0210:

Wow you're such a failure...lol.

“If, after hearing my songs, just one human being is inspired to say something nasty to a friend or perhaps to strike a loved one, it will all have been worth the while.” ― Tom Lehrer

NorthStar09
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I guess it all started going downhill when I didn't make her wear clothes that timewarped here from the audience of an early 90s episode of "America's Funniest Home Videos." The first sign of a good homeschooler going wrong is the adoption of normal clothing.

Quoting beethann:

beethann
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM
For shame!

Quoting NorthStar09:

I guess it all started going downhill when I didn't make her wear clothes that timewarped here from the audience of an early 90s episode of "America's Funniest Home Videos." The first sign of a good homeschooler going wrong is the adoption of normal clothing.

Quoting beethann:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM
I love this.
Groove
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM
3 moms liked this
I was convinced this was super serious for like 2 minutes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NunyaBizzness
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:21 PM

lol....sounds like my daughter.  good job, mom!

angevil53
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:21 PM
That's funny.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)