Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sitting next to a crying child on an airplane....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 244 Replies
We just got settled in. We flew from MA to FL today.

There weren't enough seats for us to all sit together so we each had to split up. We have never had to do this before so it freaked my already nervous 6 year old out.

He started crying hysterically and I had to BEG a 40-50 year old woman to please switch seats with me so I could sit with him.

The bitch would not do it. I wanted to go off. Why on earth would you want to sit next to a crying child?!

I know some will call me entitled or what have you but what about common courtesy? It would have been so easy for her to switch seats. It's not even like she was in a window seat. She was in an aisle seat as was I. There was really no difference.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 31, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Awww that sucks.  Glad you all got there ok.

KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on May. 31, 2013 at 11:27 PM
4 moms liked this

Wow, that sucks. That lady does sound like a bitch. I'd gladly switch to calm a CHILD.

LiesLiesLies
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I won't switch if I have to switch to a window or middle seat. I pay extra to make sure I have an aisle...and I'm sorry...but I would keep it.

I would try to comfort the child though and I would hope someone else may switch seats.
opal10161973

Some people don't like certain aisles on the plane.  Was she in a front aisle, those are often roomier for the legs?  Or maybe she needed to be close to the bathroom or something? 

Chan_Brawner88
1 mom liked this
That is crazy she wouldn't switch... Not to be nice, but for her own sanity! That's messed up.
babie113
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 11:28 PM

that woman is stupid but why didnt you pick your seats online and made sure you were together or even ask at the gate to get it changed .i just got home from the uk and had my 3yo with me on my last flight home i couldnt change the seats online but i managed to get it changed at the gate even though the flight was full .

but yeah i agree some people are assholes about the seats .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 31, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Is he delayed or special needs?
KGreen75
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:29 PM
3 moms liked this
People are just cunts, that should be expected. If I couldn't sit next to my children on a plane, I would tell the airline to switch my reservations to a different, less crowded flight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2013 at 11:30 PM
There really was no difference in our seats. I was in the middle section but still sitting on the outside. She was on the left section. I was only one row behind them! So just over one, back one. It could have been soooo easy.

Quoting opal10161973:

Some people don't like certain aisles on the plane.  Was she in a front aisle, those are often roomier for the legs?  Or maybe she needed to be close to the bathroom or something? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 31, 2013 at 11:30 PM
What a witch! Did she give a reason?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)