Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you have hardwood floors...

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 5:49 PM
  • 19 Replies

Do you oil them? We have beautiful maple flooring and we use Old English wood oil once a week. One bottle goes a long way too. We use maybe a quarter cup for our 450 sq ft living and dining room. I have hard wood on the stairs, landings, master and 2nd bedroom as well, but I only oil the common areas since they see the most foot traffick.

So if you have hard woods, how do you care for them?

by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I look at them in disgust and pretend I live somewhere else.

No I do oil them once a month or so, I do damp mop them with oil soap a few times a week.

I know dulls it, but its a must, and they need replacing refinished anyhow - once the d o g s are frolicking at the rainbow bridge.

BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 5:54 PM

We steam clean them with my steam mop every week. We don't oil them. The dog licks the oil off of the floor and gets sick.

Hellobabies
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Thanks, you just reminded me that I need oil. I mop 3 times a week using an industrial floor cleaner that I get at SAMs, two toddlers can really do a number on hardwood. But it has been awhile since I polished them. My house is 100 yrs old and has the original hardwood throughout, which is 2700 sq ft. It uses a lot of oil when I do them. I use old English lemon oil.

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Jun. 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Ours are 10 years old and still look brand new. I use a swiffer wet mop daily, and oil once a week.

Quoting Foolynroo2:

No I do oil them once a month or so, I do damp mop them with oil soap a few times a week.

I know dulls it, but its a must, and they need replacing refinished anyhow - once the d o g s are frolicking at the rainbow bridge.

New.OrleansLady
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM
It's some stuff called Bona
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Hey Foo, long time no see. How are you?

Quoting Foolynroo2:

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Jun. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Ugh, my dog JUST licked some of the oil up. He has never done that before. I use old english lemon oil too. Hope my dog doesn't get sick :/

Quoting Hellobabies:

Thanks, you just reminded me that I need oil. I mop 3 times a week using an industrial floor cleaner that I get at SAMs, two toddlers can really do a number on hardwood. But it has been awhile since I polished them. My house is 100 yrs old and has the original hardwood throughout, which is 2700 sq ft. It uses a lot of oil when I do them. I use old English lemon oil.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jun. 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I sweep and use Bruce's hardwood cleaner on them once a week. 

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Mine is original hardwood (meaning how the house was built, not hardwood applied on top of sub-flooring) in an almost 100 year old house.

Lots of damage, etc. 

When the D O G S are gone, we will decide to either replace them all or if we can, refinish and repair. Then Ill worry about weekly oiling.

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

Ours are 10 years old and still look brand new. I use a swiffer wet mop daily, and oil once a week.

Quoting Foolynroo2:

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Jun. 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Oops, quoted the wrong person! Sorry!

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

Ugh, my dog JUST licked some of the oil up. He has never done that before. I use old english lemon oil too. Hope my dog doesn't get sick :/

Quoting Hellobabies:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN