Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you keep the neighbor kids away from your pool? UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 290 Replies
2 moms liked this

Last year, we bought our dream home but we are starting to notice a problem, the neighbor kids come over when we are not home to use the pool. This started last week when school got out. There is no neighborhood pool and as far as I know, we are the only house with a pool on the street (small street, like 12 houses). I have talked to their parents, who aren't home during the day, about it and they just play it down saying "well the people who used to live here always let them use the pool whenever they wanted", I even responded with, "well I own the house now and I am not ok with it". I hate it because I don't want to have problems with our neighbors but I also don't want to end up getting sued because one of these kids get hurt on my property while unsupervised. I am also sure they are peeing in my pool which grosses me out so much that I don't use public pools. We have a fence and I have put a lock on the gate, they just started jumping the fence. One of them live next store so they use a ladder to get over to our side, then pull the ladder over so they can get back.

I don't even have kids their age. These boys are all 10-13, my kids are 2, 5 and 7.

I have put no trespassing signs up and have also talked to the children. I am thinking about pulling my car in the garage to make it look like we are not home then when they come over, calling the police  for trespassing, maybe the police showing up will scare them enough that they will stop.

Has anyone else had problems with that?

I decided the best the to do was to call my insurance company to find out exactly what to do. The agent told me that as long as I make a reasonable effort to deter people from using my pool without permission, I would be ok. He said the lock on the gate, the no trespassing signs and talking to the parents were all great. He suggested that I send a letter to all the parents explaining that their children are trespassing and the police will be called if it continues. He also suggested it wouldn't hurt to say that since I have taken steps to deter the children from using my pool, if they get hurt in my pool, my insurance company will not have to cover anything nor can I be sued.

So I am going to send this letter by signature confirmation (so I have proof the parents got it) to each home.

Their name,

I am continuing to have an issue with your child using my pool without my permission. Dong so is not only trespassing but it is dangerous for children so young to be swimming with no adult supervision.  Per our discussion on May 25, 2013, my pool is not open to the neighborhood and is only to be used after I have given my permission. I have never given my permission to your child to use my pool. I had hoped that upon coming to you to discuss the issue, you child would stop trespassing on my property and stop using my pool. However, that is not the case. My next step will be to call the police and possibly press charges if I catch your child on my property again. I may also contact CPS to let them know how little supervision your child has during the day.

Also, please be advised that I have spoken with my insurance company and it was explained to me that because I have made reasonable efforts to keep your child from my pool, if your child is hurt while trespassing on my property, my homeowner's insurance will not cover any portion of the injury nor will you be able to sue me personally.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter

my name

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM

BUMP!

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM
9 moms liked this

I would tell the parents that if they kids come to your pool without permission you will call the police for trespassing

liss.n.chris
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd call the cops on the little shits.  That's a huge lawsuit waiting to happen.

momma2b2008
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like you do need to get the cops involved. Especially if they parents do care.
nyxiemist
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM
5 moms liked this

I would put up cameras. Then take them to the police. 

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM
4 moms liked this
Call the cops. I know it seems a bit much, but they're trespassing and those same lackadaisical parents who don't care what their kids are doing will be the first ones moaning and bellyaching if something happens to them. The cops will explain to the kids and their parents that they're not allowed to come onto your property whenever they feel like it just because the previous owners allowed it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

that sucks! I know you dont want problems with your neighbors but I would let them know there would be consequences to them using the pool. Warn the parents. Put it in writing. Explain how you dont want the liability. I would also plant some pokey bushes!

LovelyCorrupt
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Talk to the insurance company, find out your liability because u did lock it, u did put up signs and these kids chose to ignore it. U cant always leave someone at home so u aren't going to keep them out 100% of the time so cover yourself if something happens while u are away.

Also, pool cover?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

We had to do that when we lived in a house with a pool. 

The parents were pissed off, and confronted me.  BUT those kids NEVER used my pool again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN