Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leaving Mormonism *UPDATE*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Anyone here left the LDS religion? Can you tell me a little about your experience? How did your family take it? I'm sending my resignation letter tomorrow.

Tiny Update: I sent my letter about a week ago but haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully the whole thing will be over soon.

Update: I got a call from my Bishop last night asking me to come in because he received my paperwork from SLC. I declined and told him I knew that legally I was OUT as soon as they received my resignation letter. If feels so good to be FREE!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Replies (81-90):
demonica29
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM

ROFL, when you can refer to most of someone's siblings it's fairly safe to assume they're Mormon. At least here in Phoenix. Back in Boston they'd likely be Catholic. 

Quoting Anonymous:

DH never sent in a letter. He just stopped going. All the Mormons I have met are phoney. They act all happy with close knit families just because they want to look good for others. They have the same problems as anyone. Since DH stopped going to church most of his siblings never talk to him.

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I left as a teenager. I've been told how horriable I am to leave. I had the missionaries find me last year and they kept send people and harassing me. They told me they couldn't leave alone without talking to my husband. I quickly reminded them they are in tx on private property and I have a loaded gun with in reach. I also told them that if they stepped foot on my apartment complex agai. I'd take that as a threat and they'd be leaving with an extra home along with being arrested for trespassing. I never saw them again.
I tried to be nice and was told they can come if they wan to by the bishop. I had my husbands friend who's a member speak to them and they refuse to listen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RainieDaze
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I left the church in 2006. I did not send in a letter of resignation, I told my bishop in person I wanted to be removed from the membership list. When I was 4 my mom moved our family (me and 2 siblings) to Utah after divorcing my dad...from then on I was raised in the LDS church. My dad's family is devout catholic.

By age 12 I had realized all of the inconsistencies within the doctrines, because I had read the bible, BOM and D&C about 30 times each at that point. I was the beehive president age 12-14, miamaid president age 14-16 and they asked me to be the laurel president when I was 16. I knew those books inside and out and my bishop would come to me asking where certain quotes were in the bible, or what things meant, etc. By age 16 I knew from my own studies that the church was not true, however my mom and stepfather were EXTREMELY radical mormons. My stepfather was a high priest - meaning he dealt with deciding who would be excommunicated and such, he was one of the 12 that would "judge" in the court of love. He sexually assaulted me. So I moved out on my own when I was 16 because my mom said he was still a good man and she is still married to him. The bishop whom I thought was my "friend" and I could confide in told me it was my fault, that I seduced him because I was wearing boxers and a tank top to sleep, in my own bed, and that my stepfather was not going to be excommunicated because he is a good man. I told my bishop right then that I wanted to be removed from the membership list and have not been back.

I haven't had any problems with them trying to reactivate me until recently. I moved to NY and the missionaries here were coming around twice a week for about 3 weeks until I finally just said, "Okay, here's the thing, I can quote those books backwards and forwards, I do not believe they are true and I will not return to the church. I probably know more about it than you do. Let me guess...you and you were raised in the church and you are a convert from catholicism?" (there were 3 of them because they kept coming when my husband wasn't home and they aren't allowed to enter a home when a woman is alone if there are only the 2 of them so they brought a 3rd the last 2 times) they were astounded that I was right, I said, "Yeah, I can tell. I admire what you are doing, I know it takes a lot of dedication and strong will power to go out there every day and try to preach your gospel but I'm not interested guys and I would appreciate it if you would stop knocking on my door all the time. I have an infant and he takes naps throughout the day and you keep waking him up. But if I were you, I would go outside the church and do a little research of your own into the history." They haven't bothered me since.

RainieDaze
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:59 PM

This made me LMAO!!! I completely agree, it is literally crazy the things you realize you use to believe. Although I started to become disillusioned by age 12...I was a lucky one. I liked to read, a lot, so when I read the BOM I read it as a book, well, a trilogy really. And that's when I realized things really weren't adding up. My head started to clear early but for those of you that stayed in the church later into your teens or twenties, whatever the case may be, I can imagine the transition to be even more shocking. Mormonism is brainwashing. In every way that they teach children it is considered brainwashing by the literal terminology.

Quoting Anonymous:

Id like to bare my testimony that i know this comment is true
Lol i know exactly what you mean, we were explaining some things about the religion to a friend who was curious, its amazing what we used to believe

Quoting LavenderChic:

I did, best decision ever.  Honestly the longer I am away from there the more I am shocked about the stuff I believed!  When you grow up with those beliefs we were taught is was just all you knew no matter what.  But the more distance I have the more ridiculous those beliefs become.  This life I live now feels so much freer, so much more alive.  And no I still don't really drink or am I running amuck.  But I am not "not" doing those things because I am afraid for my celestial future but the decisions I make to not drink is for health reasons plain and beautifully guilt free simple!

As for family, within 3 years both my sisters ended up leaving the church to and then my brother declared himself an Atheist.  Only my dad goes now.   Mom still stands firm in her beliefs and gets mad when we talk about it in front of her but hey she never goes to church anyways so WTF. 

This is a very big step and you need to carefully make this choice without CM influencing your decisions.  I will testify though that time has cured me of those silly things they made me blindly and without question believe.  Also I must say that being a former member made my observation of Romney and his lies and bullshit very clear that my choice to leave the church the best decision I ever made AMEN!

divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you to a certain extent...that we have to pray for salvation and accept it through grace but  I believe you're missing my point. One cannot simpy pray the prayer of salvation and be saved and that's that. Then there would be no point of lessons on earth or asking forgiveness, repentence and being a good person. Hence the verse I quoted you about faith without works being dead.If we were saved by grace alone, people would merely pray John 3:16 and then go get drunk and beat their wives and believe that this is ok. :(

Quoting BeautyFull:

Absolutely not, We are saved through the Blood of Jesus Christ. He is the gift the grace that was given. And if we accept Him we will be saved, and that is the only way. Dont be deceived there is not one on this earth who is without sin, so it is impossible to be perfect on this earth. You can do all the good you want, give to the poor, clean everyones house, bake everyone in the church a cake, but it you die hating your neighbor what did doing all that good deeds profit you? We are saved by Grace alone.

Quoting divinedimension:

I don't believe in the standard baptist idea that you are saved by grace alone. The verse I quoted basically states that one must do good works, not just thrive on faith alone. Many baptists in our community drink all weekend then show up for church thinking they're still saved.

If we're saved by grace alone as the prayer of salvation, this implies we can go sin all we want and still go to heaven.

Quoting BeautyFull:

The Bible do not contradicts. However, the false prophets such as the one Mormons follow twists the word in order to suit their practices. "For God so love the World that He gave His only begotten Son that Whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16.

Quoting divinedimension:

James 2:14-26 

Faith without works is dead.

The bible can sometimes contradict. :(

Quoting BeautyFull:

A few weeks ago, 2 Mormons was at my door. They went into good depth about their church they left my mouth dropping to the floor. However, I did refer them to a few passages of the Holy Bible that left them speechless. Let me just say folks, there is no one Prophet, You can not get into heaven by works, salvation is a gift. Any organization that has a book apart from the Holy Bible stay away from.

Quoting Anonymous:

I found out the real history of the church and it is totally different than I was raised to believe. I can no longer support Joseph Smith. I do not believe he was ever a prophet. I think he was a money, power, and sex-hungry manipulator. The church has covered up evidence of his true character for years. I will not be affiliated with any organization that sustains someone like him.

Quoting divinedimension:

which doctrine are you having trouble with, if you don't mind me asking?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry. Some people are crappy, Mormon or not. I am not leaving over anything that members have done. I am leaving over doctrine. I feel I can no longer support the church.

Quoting divinedimension:

I'm really considering it. And I just got baptized too. People just randomly pop into my home all of the time (without an invite) to check on me, as if they care. Then they always ask, "Is there anything I can do for your family?" I always say no.

But right now, I'm really sick. My husband is watching all four of our kids (three of which have special needs and one is a breastfed infant) and he's exhausted. He can't keep up so I asked the RS president to have someone bring meals today and tomorrow. They haven't brought a single meal.

I'm sick as a dog and it's not a cold either, it could be life threatening. I am required to work during this illness because I'm the only person who works in the house, so I'm working, cooking, cleaning, breastfeeding, etc. with a severe kidney problem. 

But they just left me high and dry. Some church "family"......

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM

The church does not have paid ministers like other churches so most of the men would be people from the community, which makes it even worse. :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow! That's crazy. Who are the people who "judge" the others and determine the punishment?

Quoting Anonymous:

It is. I have never experienced it but my friend from high school did. He had sex with lots of girls which is a big no no. He had to stand in front of them and admit to everything. He had to write a letter to every girl he slept with apologizing and he was banned from certain religious practices for a year. That was his repentence process. Every situation is different though.

I also know people who have been excommuncated after a court of love.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol...it doesn't really make sense, but I guess I understand the best I can. So what type of things can happen in a court of love? LoL...Court of love kind of sounds like a reality TV show. Sorry, I am not trying to be offensive towards anyones religion.

Quoting Anonymous:

No. I think your name still technically stays on record but you are not considered a member and they will not try to reactivate you. I hope that makes sense. It's difficult to explain to people who are not members of the church.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's sad. So, if you resign, does that mean they remove everything about you from the church...like you never attended at all?

Quoting Anonymous:

You can stop attending church whenever you want but I do not want my name on their records. I want no further affiliation. If they find out I am leaving before I resign I could be subject to a court of love. A court of love is basically where you stand in front of leadership if you have committed a serious sin. Apostacy is considered to be one of the most serious sins in my church. I will not give the church the power to excommunicate me. By the time they find out I have stopped attending church, I will be officially resigned.

Quoting Anonymous:

You have to resign? You can't just leave? And what is a court of love?

divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I actually did finally get ONE meal today: dinner. I assumed when they said they would handle my meals for the day that it would mean at least two full meals. I suppose I was wrong. I'm supposed to be getting meals tomorrow as well so we'll see how it goes. 

Quoting lilyrose842006:

Call your visiting teachers. Or even your home teachers. If you still can't get some help, call your Bishop.

Quoting divinedimension:

I'm really considering it. And I just got baptized too. People just randomly pop into my home all of the time (without an invite) to check on me, as if they care. Then they always ask, "Is there anything I can do for your family?" I always say no.

But right now, I'm really sick. My husband is watching all four of our kids (three of which have special needs and one is a breastfed infant) and he's exhausted. He can't keep up so I asked the RS president to have someone bring meals today and tomorrow. They haven't brought a single meal.

I'm sick as a dog and it's not a cold either, it could be life threatening. I am required to work during this illness because I'm the only person who works in the house, so I'm working, cooking, cleaning, breastfeeding, etc. with a severe kidney problem. 

BeautyFull
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Well as Christians the Lord have given us laws and guideline that we must live by, simply to keep our selves holy before Him. And these laws are nothing that is written down any where or given to one man, they are written in our hearts. Yes we have to work but not as it is taken out of context.. Religious organizations have bounded people by this thought setting rules and regulations that they say will get you to heaven. This is false, wearing a long dress, knocking on peoples doors every weekend, drinking or eating certain things will not get you into heaven. As a matter of fact, once you have accepted the free gift of Jesus Christ, study His word"Holy Bible" the Holy Spirit will guide you on how to live a life pleasing to God.

Quoting divinedimension:

I agree with you to a certain extent...that we have to pray for salvation and accept it through grace but  I believe you're missing my point. One cannot simpy pray the prayer of salvation and be saved and that's that. Then there would be no point of lessons on earth or asking forgiveness, repentence and being a good person. Hence the verse I quoted you about faith without works being dead.If we were saved by grace alone, people would merely pray John 3:16 and then go get drunk and beat their wives and believe that this is ok. :(

Quoting BeautyFull:

Absolutely not, We are saved through the Blood of Jesus Christ. He is the gift the grace that was given. And if we accept Him we will be saved, and that is the only way. Dont be deceived there is not one on this earth who is without sin, so it is impossible to be perfect on this earth. You can do all the good you want, give to the poor, clean everyones house, bake everyone in the church a cake, but it you die hating your neighbor what did doing all that good deeds profit you? We are saved by Grace alone.

Quoting divinedimension:

I don't believe in the standard baptist idea that you are saved by grace alone. The verse I quoted basically states that one must do good works, not just thrive on faith alone. Many baptists in our community drink all weekend then show up for church thinking they're still saved.

If we're saved by grace alone as the prayer of salvation, this implies we can go sin all we want and still go to heaven.

Quoting BeautyFull:

The Bible do not contradicts. However, the false prophets such as the one Mormons follow twists the word in order to suit their practices. "For God so love the World that He gave His only begotten Son that Whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16.

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

A few weeks ago, 2 Mormons was at my door. They went into good depth about their church they left my mouth dropping to the floor. However, I did refer them to a few passages of the Holy Bible that left them speechless. Let me just say folks, there is no one Prophet, You can not get into heaven by works, salvation is a gift. Any organization that has a book apart from the Holy Bible stay away from.

Quoting Anonymous:

I found out the real history of the church and it is totally different than I was raised to believe. I can no longer support Joseph Smith. I do not believe he was ever a prophet. I think he was a money, power, and sex-hungry manipulator. The church has covered up evidence of his true character for years. I will not be affiliated with any organization that sustains someone like him.

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry. Some people are crappy, Mormon or not. I am not leaving over anything that members have done. I am leaving over doctrine. I feel I can no longer support the church.

Quoting divinedimension:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I know the LDS church uses that Bible scripture a lot to justify all the things they ask of members but it needs to be kept in context...

James is simply saying that if you ‘say' you are a Christian, then there had better be some appropriate works manifested or your faith is false. This sentiment is echoed in 1 John 2:4 which says, "If you say you have come to know Him, yet you do not keep His commandments, then the truth is not in you and you are a liar."

Apparently, there were people who were saying they were Christians, but were not manifesting any of the fruit of Christianity.  Can this faith justify? Can the dead ‘faith' that someone has which produces no change in a person and no good works before men and God be a faith that justifies? Absolutely not.  It is not merely enough to say you believe in Jesus.  You must actually believe and trust in Him.  If you actually do, then you will demonstrate that faith by a changed and godly life.  If not, then your profession is of no more value than the same profession of demons: "We believe Jesus lived."

Notice that James actually quotes the same verse that Paul uses to support the teaching of justification by faith in Rom. 4:3James 2:23 says, "and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, ‘and Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.'"  If James was trying to teach a contradictory doctrine of faith and works than the other New Testament writers, then he would not have used Abraham as an example.

Therefore, we are justified by faith. That is, we are made righteous in the eyes of God by faith as is amply demonstrated by Romans.  However, that faith, if it is true, will result in deeds appropriate to salvation.  After all, didn't God say in Eph. 2:8-10, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast.  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting divinedimension:

divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe that we were put on this earth not just to be "saved" but to love and serve our neighbors. I'm not strictly and merely worried about how I will get into heaven but how I will do what God above has put me here to do...how I will follow his calling, and how I will serve other people. I felt so lonely in other religions. I felt as if once church was out, no one wanted anything to do with serving each other or helping each other. In the LDS religion, we get out and about to serve and visit each other, and to stay connected as family. I've investigated all religions except the Muslim religion, and I've never found the need to serve on this level before. It's humbling and I strongly feel that's what God has led me to do.

Sometimes, people let me down. But the religion itself never has. So we can agree to disagree, as Christians should do, with love.

God bless

Quoting BeautyFull:

Well as Christians the Lord have given us laws and guideline that we must live by, simply to keep our selves holy before Him. And these laws are nothing that is written down any where or given to one man, they are written in our hearts. Yes we have to work but not as it is taken out of context.. Religious organizations have bounded people by this thought setting rules and regulations that they say will get you to heaven. This is false, wearing a long dress, knocking on peoples doors every weekend, drinking or eating certain things will not get you into heaven. As a matter of fact, once you have accepted the free gift of Jesus Christ, study His word"Holy Bible" the Holy Spirit will guide you on how to live a life pleasing to God.

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting divinedimension:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured