Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Leaving Mormonism *UPDATE*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Anyone here left the LDS religion? Can you tell me a little about your experience? How did your family take it? I'm sending my resignation letter tomorrow.

Tiny Update: I sent my letter about a week ago but haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully the whole thing will be over soon.

Update: I got a call from my Bishop last night asking me to come in because he received my paperwork from SLC. I declined and told him I knew that legally I was OUT as soon as they received my resignation letter. If feels so good to be FREE!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Replies (91-100):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM
I know several who have left within the past year. The church harasses them nonstop.
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
When they bring meals, it is dinner. They find women who will cook a meal for you for that day and bring it to you.

Quoting divinedimension:

I actually did finally get ONE meal today: dinner. I assumed when they said they would handle my meals for the day that it would mean at least two full meals. I suppose I was wrong. I'm supposed to be getting meals tomorrow as well so we'll see how it goes. 

Quoting lilyrose842006:

Call your visiting teachers. Or even your home teachers. If you still can't get some help, call your Bishop.

Quoting divinedimension:

I'm really considering it. And I just got baptized too. People just randomly pop into my home all of the time (without an invite) to check on me, as if they care. Then they always ask, "Is there anything I can do for your family?" I always say no.

But right now, I'm really sick. My husband is watching all four of our kids (three of which have special needs and one is a breastfed infant) and he's exhausted. He can't keep up so I asked the RS president to have someone bring meals today and tomorrow. They haven't brought a single meal.

I'm sick as a dog and it's not a cold either, it could be life threatening. I am required to work during this illness because I'm the only person who works in the house, so I'm working, cooking, cleaning, breastfeeding, etc. with a severe kidney problem. 

But they just left me high and dry. Some church "family"......

LClark1973
by Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry your getting no help. It sounds like you have an indifferent ward.  A friend of mine her ward several members showed up to help them move, and made dinner for them. 

Quoting divinedimension:

I'm really considering it. And I just got baptized too. People just randomly pop into my home all of the time (without an invite) to check on me, as if they care. Then they always ask, "Is there anything I can do for your family?" I always say no.

But right now, I'm really sick. My husband is watching all four of our kids (three of which have special needs and one is a breastfed infant) and he's exhausted. He can't keep up so I asked the RS president to have someone bring meals today and tomorrow. They haven't brought a single meal.

I'm sick as a dog and it's not a cold either, it could be life threatening. I am required to work during this illness because I'm the only person who works in the house, so I'm working, cooking, cleaning, breastfeeding, etc. with a severe kidney problem. 

divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Paul speaks of faith as a life-long process, never as a one-time experience (Philippians 2:12). He never assumes he has nothing to worry about. If he did, his words in (1 Corinthians 9:24-27) would be nonsensical. He reiterates the same point again in his second letter to Corinth (2 Corinthians 13:5). He takes nothing for granted, yet all would agree if anyone was "born again" it certainly was Paul. Our Lord and Savior spoke of the same thing by "remaining in Him" (John 15:1-11).

Paul tells us our faith is living and can go through many stages. It never stays permanently fixed after a single conversion experience no matter how genuine or sincere. Our faith can be shipwrecked (1 Timothy 1:19), departed from (1 Timothy 4:1), disowned (1 Timothy 5:8) wandered from (1 Timothy 6:10), and missed (1 Timothy 6:21). Christians do not have a "waiver" that exempts them from these verses.

Do our works mean anything? According to Jesus they do (Matthew 25:31-46). The people rewarded and punished are done so by their actions. And our thoughts (Matthew 15:18-20) and words (James 3:6-12) are accountable as well. These verses are just as much part of the Bible as Romans 10:8-13 and John 3:3-5.

Some will object by appealing to Romans 4:3 and stating Abraham was "declared righteous" before circumcision. Thus he was only saved by "believing" faith (Genesis 15:6), not by faith "working in love" (Galatians 5:6). Isn't this what Paul means when he says none will be justified by "works of law" (Romans 3:28)? No, this is not what he means. He's condemning the Old Covenant sacrifices and rituals which couldn't justify and pointing to better things now in Christ Jesus in the New Covenant (Hebrews 7-10). A close examination of Abraham's life revealed a man of God who did something. In Genesis 12-14 he makes two geographical moves, builds an altar and calls on the Lord, divides land with Lot to end quarrels, pays tithes, and refuses goods from the King of Sodom to rely instead on God's providence. He did all these works as an old man. It was certainly a struggle. After all these actions of faith, then he's "declared righteous" (Genesis 15:6). Did these works play a role in his justification? According to the Bible, yes.

The Catholic Church has never taught we "earn" our salvation. It is an inheritance (Galatians 5:21), freely given to anyone who becomes a child of God (1 John 3:1), so long as they remain that way (John 15:1-11). You can't earn it but you can lose the free gift given from the Father (James 1:17).

Quoting Anonymous:

I know the LDS church uses that Bible scripture a lot to justify all the things they ask of members but it needs to be kept in context...

James is simply saying that if you ‘say' you are a Christian, then there had better be some appropriate works manifested or your faith is false. This sentiment is echoed in 1 John 2:4 which says, "If you say you have come to know Him, yet you do not keep His commandments, then the truth is not in you and you are a liar."

Apparently, there were people who were saying they were Christians, but were not manifesting any of the fruit of Christianity.  Can this faith justify? Can the dead ‘faith' that someone has which produces no change in a person and no good works before men and God be a faith that justifies? Absolutely not.  It is not merely enough to say you believe in Jesus.  You must actually believe and trust in Him.  If you actually do, then you will demonstrate that faith by a changed and godly life.  If not, then your profession is of no more value than the same profession of demons: "We believe Jesus lived."

Notice that James actually quotes the same verse that Paul uses to support the teaching of justification by faith in Rom. 4:3James 2:23 says, "and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, ‘and Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.'"  If James was trying to teach a contradictory doctrine of faith and works than the other New Testament writers, then he would not have used Abraham as an example.

Therefore, we are justified by faith. That is, we are made righteous in the eyes of God by faith as is amply demonstrated by Romans.  However, that faith, if it is true, will result in deeds appropriate to salvation.  After all, didn't God say in Eph. 2:8-10, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast.  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

Quoting divinedimension:

I agree with you to a certain extent...that we have to pray for salvation and accept it through grace but  I believe you're missing my point. One cannot simpy pray the prayer of salvation and be saved and that's that. Then there would be no point of lessons on earth or asking forgiveness, repentence and being a good person. Hence the verse I quoted you about faith without works being dead.If we were saved by grace alone, people would merely pray John 3:16 and then go get drunk and beat their wives and believe that this is ok. :(

Quoting BeautyFull:

Absolutely not, We are saved through the Blood of Jesus Christ. He is the gift the grace that was given. And if we accept Him we will be saved, and that is the only way. Dont be deceived there is not one on this earth who is without sin, so it is impossible to be perfect on this earth. You can do all the good you want, give to the poor, clean everyones house, bake everyone in the church a cake, but it you die hating your neighbor what did doing all that good deeds profit you? We are saved by Grace alone.

Quoting divinedimension:

I don't believe in the standard baptist idea that you are saved by grace alone. The verse I quoted basically states that one must do good works, not just thrive on faith alone. Many baptists in our community drink all weekend then show up for church thinking they're still saved.

If we're saved by grace alone as the prayer of salvation, this implies we can go sin all we want and still go to heaven.

Quoting BeautyFull:

The Bible do not contradicts. However, the false prophets such as the one Mormons follow twists the word in order to suit their practices. "For God so love the World that He gave His only begotten Son that Whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16.

Quoting divinedimension:

James 2:14-26 

Faith without works is dead.

The bible can sometimes contradict. :(

Quoting BeautyFull:

A few weeks ago, 2 Mormons was at my door. They went into good depth about their church they left my mouth dropping to the floor. However, I did refer them to a few passages of the Holy Bible that left them speechless. Let me just say folks, there is no one Prophet, You can not get into heaven by works, salvation is a gift. Any organization that has a book apart from the Holy Bible stay away from.

Quoting Anonymous:

I found out the real history of the church and it is totally different than I was raised to believe. I can no longer support Joseph Smith. I do not believe he was ever a prophet. I think he was a money, power, and sex-hungry manipulator. The church has covered up evidence of his true character for years. I will not be affiliated with any organization that sustains someone like him.

Quoting divinedimension:

which doctrine are you having trouble with, if you don't mind me asking?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry. Some people are crappy, Mormon or not. I am not leaving over anything that members have done. I am leaving over doctrine. I feel I can no longer support the church.

Quoting divinedimension:

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:13 AM

thought about buying gargoyles and putting them outside our door

i have had many missionaries come to my door

and after i tell that i am christian but follow no religion they still dont stop

Quoting Anonymous:

I did.  My family was already mostly out of the religion anyway but I've never actually told them that I made it official.  My mom would probably be crushed even though she hasn't been to church in years.  The folks that handled my "resignation" were downright awful, confirming that I'd made the right decision.

My only regret is not doing it years sooner.... those missionaries stalked me for years.  Which ultimately became the reason I made it official.  Every time I would move they would find me, usually within a month (don't ask me how, I swear they have some people tracking database that's scarier than the FBI).  Then they would hound me frequently.  The last time I moved and they knocked on the door a week later was the deal breaker.  My husband totally lost it on them, screaming profanties, tell them they were trespassing.  In hindsight it was kinda funny, but not really at the moment.  The next day I sent my letter.

Outer Darkness here I come!!

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

can i get a amen sister?

i dont know you but i love your answers!

Quoting BeautyFull:

Well as Christians the Lord have given us laws and guideline that we must live by, simply to keep our selves holy before Him. And these laws are nothing that is written down any where or given to one man, they are written in our hearts. Yes we have to work but not as it is taken out of context.. Religious organizations have bounded people by this thought setting rules and regulations that they say will get you to heaven. This is false, wearing a long dress, knocking on peoples doors every weekend, drinking or eating certain things will not get you into heaven. As a matter of fact, once you have accepted the free gift of Jesus Christ, study His word"Holy Bible" the Holy Spirit will guide you on how to live a life pleasing to God.

Quoting divinedimension:

I agree with you to a certain extent...that we have to pray for salvation and accept it through grace but  I believe you're missing my point. One cannot simpy pray the prayer of salvation and be saved and that's that. Then there would be no point of lessons on earth or asking forgiveness, repentence and being a good person. Hence the verse I quoted you about faith without works being dead.If we were saved by grace alone, people would merely pray John 3:16 and then go get drunk and beat their wives and believe that this is ok. :(

Quoting BeautyFull:

Absolutely not, We are saved through the Blood of Jesus Christ. He is the gift the grace that was given. And if we accept Him we will be saved, and that is the only way. Dont be deceived there is not one on this earth who is without sin, so it is impossible to be perfect on this earth. You can do all the good you want, give to the poor, clean everyones house, bake everyone in the church a cake, but it you die hating your neighbor what did doing all that good deeds profit you? We are saved by Grace alone.

Quoting divinedimension:

I don't believe in the standard baptist idea that you are saved by grace alone. The verse I quoted basically states that one must do good works, not just thrive on faith alone. Many baptists in our community drink all weekend then show up for church thinking they're still saved.

If we're saved by grace alone as the prayer of salvation, this implies we can go sin all we want and still go to heaven.

Quoting BeautyFull:

The Bible do not contradicts. However, the false prophets such as the one Mormons follow twists the word in order to suit their practices. "For God so love the World that He gave His only begotten Son that Whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16.

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

A few weeks ago, 2 Mormons was at my door. They went into good depth about their church they left my mouth dropping to the floor. However, I did refer them to a few passages of the Holy Bible that left them speechless. Let me just say folks, there is no one Prophet, You can not get into heaven by works, salvation is a gift. Any organization that has a book apart from the Holy Bible stay away from.

Quoting Anonymous:

I found out the real history of the church and it is totally different than I was raised to believe. I can no longer support Joseph Smith. I do not believe he was ever a prophet. I think he was a money, power, and sex-hungry manipulator. The church has covered up evidence of his true character for years. I will not be affiliated with any organization that sustains someone like him.

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry. Some people are crappy, Mormon or not. I am not leaving over anything that members have done. I am leaving over doctrine. I feel I can no longer support the church.

Quoting divinedimension:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Oh hun, where in the Bible does it tell you that you have to get sealed in the temple? Have you read View of the Hebrews? Do you know anything about the Mason rituals? How much did you study before you were baptized? I'm not trying to persuade you either way. If you are happy in the church then that is wonderful. I just get he impression you are "on the fence" so to speak.

Quoting divinedimension:

Paul speaks of faith as a life-long process, never as a one-time experience (Philippians 2:12). He never assumes he has nothing to worry about. If he did, his words in (1 Corinthians 9:24-27) would be nonsensical. He reiterates the same point again in his second letter to Corinth (2 Corinthians 13:5). He takes nothing for granted, yet all would agree if anyone was "born again" it certainly was Paul. Our Lord and Savior spoke of the same thing by "remaining in Him" (John 15:1-11).

Paul tells us our faith is living and can go through many stages. It never stays permanently fixed after a single conversion experience no matter how genuine or sincere. Our faith can be shipwrecked (1 Timothy 1:19), departed from (1 Timothy 4:1), disowned (1 Timothy 5:8) wandered from (1 Timothy 6:10), and missed (1 Timothy 6:21). Christians do not have a "waiver" that exempts them from these verses.

Do our works mean anything? According to Jesus they do (Matthew 25:31-46). The people rewarded and punished are done so by their actions. And our thoughts (Matthew 15:18-20) and words (James 3:6-12) are accountable as well. These verses are just as much part of the Bible as Romans 10:8-13 and John 3:3-5.

Some will object by appealing to Romans 4:3 and stating Abraham was "declared righteous" before circumcision. Thus he was only saved by "believing" faith (Genesis 15:6), not by faith "working in love" (Galatians 5:6). Isn't this what Paul means when he says none will be justified by "works of law" (Romans 3:28)? No, this is not what he means. He's condemning the Old Covenant sacrifices and rituals which couldn't justify and pointing to better things now in Christ Jesus in the New Covenant (Hebrews 7-10). A close examination of Abraham's life revealed a man of God who did something. In Genesis 12-14 he makes two geographical moves, builds an altar and calls on the Lord, divides land with Lot to end quarrels, pays tithes, and refuses goods from the King of Sodom to rely instead on God's providence. He did all these works as an old man. It was certainly a struggle. After all these actions of faith, then he's "declared righteous" (Genesis 15:6). Did these works play a role in his justification? According to the Bible, yes.

The Catholic Church has never taught we "earn" our salvation. It is an inheritance (Galatians 5:21), freely given to anyone who becomes a child of God (1 John 3:1), so long as they remain that way (John 15:1-11). You can't earn it but you can lose the free gift given from the Father (James 1:17).

Quoting Anonymous:

I know the LDS church uses that Bible scripture a lot to justify all the things they ask of members but it needs to be kept in context...

James is simply saying that if you ‘say' you are a Christian, then there had better be some appropriate works manifested or your faith is false. This sentiment is echoed in 1 John 2:4 which says, "If you say you have come to know Him, yet you do not keep His commandments, then the truth is not in you and you are a liar."

Apparently, there were people who were saying they were Christians, but were not manifesting any of the fruit of Christianity.  Can this faith justify? Can the dead ‘faith' that someone has which produces no change in a person and no good works before men and God be a faith that justifies? Absolutely not.  It is not merely enough to say you believe in Jesus.  You must actually believe and trust in Him.  If you actually do, then you will demonstrate that faith by a changed and godly life.  If not, then your profession is of no more value than the same profession of demons: "We believe Jesus lived."

Notice that James actually quotes the same verse that Paul uses to support the teaching of justification by faith in Rom. 4:3James 2:23 says, "and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, ‘and Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.'"  If James was trying to teach a contradictory doctrine of faith and works than the other New Testament writers, then he would not have used Abraham as an example.

Therefore, we are justified by faith. That is, we are made righteous in the eyes of God by faith as is amply demonstrated by Romans.  However, that faith, if it is true, will result in deeds appropriate to salvation.  After all, didn't God say in Eph. 2:8-10, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast.  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting divinedimension:

Janaz5
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Are you married? Is your husband leaving as well? What about your children?
divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Nowhere in the Bible does it profess that one must be sealed in the Temple to get into heaven. In my opinion so far, it's strictly something LDS members do to get closer to God. I'm ok with rituals. I know nothing about Masonic rituals or what they represent. I was told once that Joseph Smith did copy masonic rituals but I'm unsure of what that means or why that would even be wrong. Personally, I feel that God is in ALL religions with the exception of non peaceful religions

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh hun, where in the Bible does it tell you that you have to get sealed in the temple? Have you read View of the Hebrews? Do you know anything about the Mason rituals? How much did you study before you were baptized? I'm not trying to persuade you either way. If you are happy in the church then that is wonderful. I just get he impression you are "on the fence" so to speak.

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting BeautyFull:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting divinedimension:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM
2 moms liked this

I am married and we are expecting our first child. I am very fortunate that my husband is leaving with me.

Quoting Janaz5:

Are you married? Is your husband leaving as well? What about your children?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)