Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Leaving Mormonism *UPDATE*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Anyone here left the LDS religion? Can you tell me a little about your experience? How did your family take it? I'm sending my resignation letter tomorrow.

Tiny Update: I sent my letter about a week ago but haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully the whole thing will be over soon.

Update: I got a call from my Bishop last night asking me to come in because he received my paperwork from SLC. I declined and told him I knew that legally I was OUT as soon as they received my resignation letter. If feels so good to be FREE!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Replies (111-120):
divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I'm freshly baptized so I'm just not sure how it's supposed to be. I only got one meal today. When I was told I'd get "meals for two days" I assumed I'd not have to cook for at least lunch and dinner. I assume now, that they only meant dinner. That's what I ended up getting for today. And it was delicious. :) Maybe I'm just expecting too much, I don't know.....

Quoting kayjayjess:

They are letting you down. I would call her again or even your visiting teachers. Maybe even go to the bishop.

Quoting divinedimension:

I became Mormon because I believe the Book of Mormon is true. I also became mormon because I believe the way the Church operates is the way it should be: close knit, family oriented, service to community, etc. But....they are letting me down. Hard core.

Quoting supercarp:

I can't understand why any woman would choose to be Mormon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:51 AM
I left, but never officially. I just haven't gotten around to it. I was born into the church along with my two brothers and six sisters. My father was excommunicated and one sister and my mother are still Mormon. Most of the people from my ward act like they don't know me out in public. My dather's excommunication was very painful for him and demoraliZing. My sister and mom are not rude to me and still love me, however my mom continually tries to bribe me into returning. I refuse. My parents divorce was very nasty and I witnessed and heard things that no Christian should do or say. Anyway, more power to you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Are you just in it for the free meals?

Quoting divinedimension:

I'm freshly baptized so I'm just not sure how it's supposed to be. I only got one meal today. When I was told I'd get "meals for two days" I assumed I'd not have to cook for at least lunch and dinner. I assume now, that they only meant dinner. That's what I ended up getting for today. And it was delicious. :) Maybe I'm just expecting too much, I don't know.....

Quoting kayjayjess:

They are letting you down. I would call her again or even your visiting teachers. Maybe even go to the bishop.

Quoting divinedimension:

I became Mormon because I believe the Book of Mormon is true. I also became mormon because I believe the way the Church operates is the way it should be: close knit, family oriented, service to community, etc. But....they are letting me down. Hard core.

Quoting supercarp:

hopinforanother
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM
I think family and friends help with that....

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh yes, the way they track you down no matter where you go is beyond frightening.

Quoting Anonymous:

I did.  My family was already mostly out of the religion anyway but I've never actually told them that I made it official.  My mom would probably be crushed even though she hasn't been to church in years.  The folks that handled my "resignation" were downright awful, confirming that I'd made the right decision.

My only regret is not doing it years sooner.... those missionaries stalked me for years.  Which ultimately became the reason I made it official.  Every time I would move they would find me, usually within a month (don't ask me how, I swear they have some people tracking database that's scarier than the FBI).  Then they would hound me frequently.  The last time I moved and they knocked on the door a week later was the deal breaker.  My husband totally lost it on them, screaming profanties, tell them they were trespassing.  In hindsight it was kinda funny, but not really at the moment.  The next day I sent my letter.

Outer Darkness here I come!!

divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I'm actually the one offering to COOK the meals, not the one asking. However, I'm having a serious health condition so someone offered to bring meals to ME for once, for two days. LDS members take service to each other very seriously so if someone didn't do their service, it's very disheartening. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you just in it for the free meals?

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting kayjayjess:

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting supercarp:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM
How is it to resign? What do you have to do? I haven't been active in over 6 years and I keep forgetting to resign. I don't have missionaries or any other church members coming to my house so i don't have reminders lol
Momto8kidsyay
by Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I believe we are saved by grace alone. But after that we have a part to play in staying that way!

Jesus said "No one comes to the Father except through me". And Revelation says there shouldn't be any adding to or subtracting from the Bible. To me that means there was no need for a J Smith, and the Book of Mormon is not necessary (that's putting it mildly). I'm glad for those of you who have seen that the things you've been taught are not correct.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Don't do it. There are plenty of other churches that offer the same things. Yes they're nice things, but there are plenty of things that are not agreeable. Please do plenty of research, and not just church sponsored resources

Quoting Anonymous:

Interesting. That is why we have been toying with the idea of becoming Mormon becasue they just seem so close-knit, family oriented, and happy, quite frankly.

Quoting divinedimension:

Quoting supercarp:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:57 AM
I wish i wouldve realized it sooner, I had so much guilt for years. For me and my husband straying but especially for pretty much comprimising my childrens souls and dooming them to eternal darkness. I really felt horrible but now i can laugh about it.

It wasn't that long ago I was here (on cm) defending Mormonism, i felt like what people were saying were just lies and why did they have evil in their hearts like that to try and tear down the church. Now Im saying those things and i always feel like I want to hug the people I say it to, I remember how it feels. Lol

Quoting RainieDaze:

This made me LMAO!!! I completely agree, it is literally crazy the things you realize you use to believe. Although I started to become disillusioned by age 12...I was a lucky one. I liked to read, a lot, so when I read the BOM I read it as a book, well, a trilogy really. And that's when I realized things really weren't adding up. My head started to clear early but for those of you that stayed in the church later into your teens or twenties, whatever the case may be, I can imagine the transition to be even more shocking. Mormonism is brainwashing. In every way that they teach children it is considered brainwashing by the literal terminology.

Quoting Anonymous:

Id like to bare my testimony that i know this comment is true

Lol i know exactly what you mean, we were explaining some things about the religion to a friend who was curious, its amazing what we used to believe

Quoting LavenderChic:

I did, best decision ever.  Honestly the longer I am away from there the more I am shocked about the stuff I believed!  When you grow up with those beliefs we were taught is was just all you knew no matter what.  But the more distance I have the more ridiculous those beliefs become.  This life I live now feels so much freer, so much more alive.  And no I still don't really drink or am I running amuck.  But I am not "not" doing those things because I am afraid for my celestial future but the decisions I make to not drink is for health reasons plain and beautifully guilt free simple!

As for family, within 3 years both my sisters ended up leaving the church to and then my brother declared himself an Atheist.  Only my dad goes now.   Mom still stands firm in her beliefs and gets mad when we talk about it in front of her but hey she never goes to church anyways so WTF. 

This is a very big step and you need to carefully make this choice without CM influencing your decisions.  I will testify though that time has cured me of those silly things they made me blindly and without question believe.  Also I must say that being a former member made my observation of Romney and his lies and bullshit very clear that my choice to leave the church the best decision I ever made AMEN!

hopinforanother
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:59 AM
My stepmom left the church. Many of her siblings refused to speak to her for years. Some of them still don't 30 yrs later.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)