Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who is the adult? Edit edit 2 edit 3

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 524 Replies
2 moms liked this
How can your kid not like vegetables? Or the picky eaters, why?

Are you not the adult? Do you not teach good eating practices?

Edit to add I never said force. FFS!

This is generally speaking. I am not singling out special needs children or their parents! Okay.

***Wow! It exploded last night! I still have a lot of pages to get through.

Most of you want to assume I said ALL veggies but I didn't.

So many can look at a post and only see something bad and then take it too personal.

Thank you to the ladies that answered without an attitude!
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM
3 moms liked this

My kid would like to be picky, but I still insist she eat a small portion of meat with her dinner every night and I make sure to give her enough that any other kid would eat it in 3 bites and ask for more so I don't feel like I'm force-feeding her.

I think some kids really are natural picky eaters, though.
If you make my little cousin eat eggs, she will start crying and tell you they smell and taste like puke. 

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM
37 moms liked this

because I can't MAKE my child eat something he doesn't want to

it is my job to offer him food to eat, it is still his choice if he eats it or not

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM
7 moms liked this

I agree.  I started with the green veggies very early on, and before I ever gave them fruit.  I wanted my kids to get used to the taste.  For myself, I love veggies and eat lots and lots of them.  It's okay for my sons to prefer one veggie over the other, but it is not alright to not eat any in my house.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM
5 moms liked this

There's a difference between not liking vegetables and not eating them. My kids don't like some vegetables, but they know we expect them to take at least one bite to try it.

GabbyP.
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM
13 moms liked this
I make my kids eat what is given. Regardless of if they 'like' it or not. In this house, you eat what is made. Period. Won't eat it? Go hungry. At 5 and 4 they know this and eat whatever.
xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM
10 moms liked this
He used to like them, then suddenly rejected all foods except those with a dry texture. It wasn't just "this tastes yucky" - veggies were his favorite, especially green beans and butternut squash - but outright gagging and choking on things he used to love. I have no idea why, but his doctor never seemed to think much of it and specifically told me NOT to make it a battle. I can understand textural aversions (I gag on slimy things and will actually vomit if I attempt to drink cough syrup or liquid pepto) and know it isn't just a matter of preference or being spoiled, as he gave up his preferred foods. I'm not going to force it. I continue to model good eating habits, refuse to allow him to eat a bunch of junk, and talk to him about why it's good to eat a variety of healthy foods. But there is no way I'm going to traumatize the kid by force-feeding him things that may very well be making him feel the same way slimy things make me feel. That would be abuse as far as I'm concerned.
mommy2ahero06
by on Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

My older is a picky eater green veggrything on his bother his stomach a lot.  He does try everything on his plate, but we don't make either of our boys finish what they don't like.

photo tyler-1.gif

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM
We give fruits and veggies at every meal. My DS has SPD so some things he won't even touch. However we give veggies via "milkshakes" and he loves them that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
We give fruits and veggies at every meal. My DS has SPD so some things he won't even touch. However we give veggies via "milkshakes" and he loves them that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NuggetsPass
by on Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM
So you prefer they shove whatever unliked veggie or food down their throats?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)