Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You wont get your child braces?...what?

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM
  • 171 Replies
Today I was at the doctors office picking up a note for work, when i started talking to a woman who was there with her 12 year old. Fairly normal conversation, and then the topic of orthodonists came up. She mentioned her daughter would need braces, & i suggested my orthodonist, she continued to say there was no way she would pay for the braces and her daughter can do that when shes older. I mentioned how I wish I had mine when i was younger instead of getting them now especially since no coverage covers braces over 18. She said Thats something her daughter will deal with when shes older, at that point i politely ended the conversation but it had me wondering how many people feel that way?

So if your child needed braces would you pay for them, or would you make your child when they are older do it?
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
saraface5383
by Silver Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM
3 moms liked this
I would absolutely pay for it. No doubt.
christina0607
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM
11 moms liked this
Braces cost around 5000.... not everyone can afford that. You really shouldn't be so harsh on people you don't know.
Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM
I would pay for them but I'm in the dental industry and have had braces twice, once at 12 and again at 23. Teeth are SO important! I want my girls to be confident and proud of their smiles! Plus it could cost less in te long run
cshepard
by Silver Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I've paid almost $6000 for one kid and I'll pay for the next. Hopefully it won't be as much as they now have dental ins. I feel it's my responsibility as their parent.
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:16 PM
I will pay for them.
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:16 PM

it depends on whether or not she could afford them

my adopted mom let me get braces but she let me take them off with a butter knife * i was 13* and she wouldnt drive me the hour for my appointments

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:16 PM
I would. My brother needs braces, my mom isn't getting them for him.

He's 12 and severely autistic. He'd be trying to rip them out of his mouth.....she and his dentist are trying to find a solution for him but..
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:16 PM

My sister in law was SO opposed to us getting our son braces.

He had very crooked teeth, his teeth in front were sideways.

Just like his fathers (who surprise surprise were never fixed).

She kept saying it's such a waste they will fix themselves (meanwhile her 30+ year old brother has the SAME teeth alignment )

I just thought she was a nutter. He got his braces, we got a good deal. 

Now he still has a slight diastema , and all she does is say SEE waste of money!

lol

oOoLeilanioOo
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM

How sad. :( I hope it isn't too serious.

ninjakids
by Christina on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Here all the orthodonists do payment plans based on what you can afford

Quoting christina0607:

Braces cost around 5000.... not everyone can afford that. You really shouldn't be so harsh on people you don't know.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN