Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vent/Confession for the day

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM
  • 13 Replies

Okay, moms, you know if you have a daughter and you sign her up for ballet or tap classes? It is taught by a TRAINED and PAID teacher who has experience, knows what they are doing, and (usually) wants to keep their job, so they do a great job teaching your child.

And if you want to sign your daughter (or son) up for gymnastics classes, you will have a TRAINED coach with experience, and gets PAID.

But, if you sign your son (or daughter) up for softball, basketball whatever you have no idea what type of coach you will get.  They are VOLUNTEER.  Some refuse to EVER hold practices. Some are HORRIBLE and don't teach your kid anything.

Why can't you sign your kid up for soccer (or bball tball whatever) and have a PAID and TRAINED coach?  You know, someone who really needs the money, so they will do a good job.  And they will practice. And actually teach your kids how to play. WHY oh WHY aren't sports like this? I don't care if Ihave to pay more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean why aren't the teachers for ballet just parent volunteers you know?

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Teaching ballet and gymnastics is very different than what is basically a babysitter for sports. There are ACTUAL coaches who teach but most are only there to make sure the kids don't get too crazy.
happymom629
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:08 AM

So you'd be okay with me coaching basketball even though I am 5'2, and have never played bball in my life, and there's no way I could teach a kid how to make it in the goal? Seriously?

Quoting Anonymous:

Teaching ballet and gymnastics is very different than what is basically a babysitter for sports. There are ACTUAL coaches who teach but most are only there to make sure the kids don't get too crazy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM
If the kids is only doing it for fun. Yea.

Quoting happymom629:

So you'd be okay with me coaching basketball even though I am 5'2, and have never played bball in my life, and there's no way I could teach a kid how to make it in the goal? Seriously?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Luckily, I am part of AYSO (soccer) who offers free training to the volunteers that coach and ref. We have a Board and keep track of any complaints. Our Region runs pretty smoothly. I cannot speak for other organized sports. I remember my SS played coach pitch baseball and never had a practice and the coach showed up late to every game. The ballpark should keep better tabs on their volunteers so they will not lose players.

If all kids sports had paid coaches, many kids would be unable to play because the fees would be tremendous. If you do not like the coach, ask to transfer to a different team. If there are no complaints, no one would know what to fix.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Well, if you sign your kid up for basketball or t-ball and you PAY - you usually DO get a trained coach.  At least here, if you sign up for the city league, it's $45 a month, for once a week practice and once a week games - plus uniforms.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:20 AM

If a non-trained person taught gymnastics, kids could be seriously injured. I mean, that's true of anything, but backbends, handstands, etc. without being trained wouldn't be ok. 

happymom629
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:04 AM

bump

spunknsass
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Apples and oranges.

Jennystrange
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM

I agree completely especially since growing up our school seemed to have a lot of problems with coaches that were too touchy feely.

tommyjsgirl
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Probably because many parents wouldn't be able to afford it?  My son plays around 6 or 7 weeks of baseball, we pay $55 for registration, plus he has to sell raffle tickets-$75 worth or he can't play.  Then you have to pay for pants, equipment, pictures....it all adds up.  I can't imagine what the town would charge for coach fees. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)