Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cat allergy??? Advise needed.

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM
  • 12 Replies

Mobile Photo

Just got a new kitten. I've been exposed to cats my whole life. We had a cat when I was young. I had a cat of my own awhile back but he passed. I have patients who have 12 cats in their homes and I'm fine. My grandmother has 3 cats in her home and there is cat hair everywhere and I'm fine.

But since I've brought THIS kitten home (who is really cute) my eyes are burning/itching/watery. I've sneezed a million times. Stuffy nose and occasional shortness of breath.

It's Awful. Is it possible to be allergic to just ONE cat???? I don't understand why this is happening? Maybe they are just seasonal allergies and its a coincidence? Maybe I just need to give the kitty a bath? It's driving me crazy. I feel horrible.

Do you think it's this cat? Why would it just be this cat? What can I do?

I took Claritin this morning. It did nothing.
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:18 AM
Its the devil

Get rid of it! Naaaaooooowwww!

Jk. I have no idea
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:20 AM
i suppose it could depend on the length or type of hair
its also early summer so its prob shedding like crazy.
we take ours in the spring to a groomer and get her shaved
tardistraveller
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:20 AM

get an allergy test, allergies can develop throughout our lifetime

Il Faut Ecouter!

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:21 AM

You can try bathing the cat to see if that helps. A lot of times even if you have a sensitivity to animal dander, the more you're around it the less it'll bother you. That's what happened with a friend of mine. Her parents kept her away from all animals. When she turned 18 she got a dog, suffered with allergies for a few months and eventually she didn't need to take allergy meds anymore.

smurfbitebug
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Give it a bath and see if it's just a lot of dander built up. Give it some time and see if it passes when the seasons change. Or you could go to the doc and get an allergy test. It is possible to become allergic to different things later in life. Just as possible as it is to grow out of allergies.
wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Yes, some cats put off more dander than others. Kittens are especially bad.

My husband is allergic to cats, but ours doesn't bother him at all. They can cuddle and everything with no issues... But if my husband so much as walks into my mom's house his allergies are set off full force by her cat.
4everJs
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:25 AM
**advice needed not advise

lol

My eyes are so watery and itchy I can barely see what I'm typing.
Tinabee88
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:29 AM

It will pass. Took me like 2 weeks to get used to the three cats I used to have.

With my new cat it took me about 6 weeks because I was constantly working and didn't expose myself to her dander that often. Now I'm ok, but my eyes still burn if I hold her and don't wash my hands right away.

4everJs
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:07 AM
I hope so!

Quoting Tinabee88:

It will pass. Took me like 2 weeks to get used to the three cats I used to have.

With my new cat it took me about 6 weeks because I was constantly working and didn't expose myself to her dander that often. Now I'm ok, but my eyes still burn if I hold her and don't wash my hands right away.

paganmommy4
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:09 AM

first its the dander not the fur and second change his food, that can help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)