Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tummy time from birth??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 82 Replies

I can't believe some "experts" recommend putting your newborn on their stomach for at least 30 minutes everyday. If you didn't have enough strength in your neck to support the weight of your head you would not enjoy tummy time. 

On one side of this issue people believe that an infants development should unfold naturally.

On the other side people believe that their infant needs tummy time in order to physically develop optimally. 

I have worked in childcare with infants for the last 6 years and for the most part infants learn to roll over onto their stomach between 0-4 months. Once they learn how to roll over they get plenty of tummy time, so what is the hurry?

This is my comment to an online discussion about tummy time.

"Tummy time is wonderful when an infant discovers that position for themselves. It's all about readiness. If you think about the two positions for a second, laying on their back is obviously the most stable of the two. Stability creates balance. Balance makes them feel secure.Infants need to be balanced and feel comfortable in order to discover how their body works and in order to move freely. If you believe that an infant needs YOU to put THEM in a position they haven't yet learned to put themselves in you are lacking faith and trust in the infant. When an infant is motivated to roll onto their side and struggles to be able to they learn something about themselves...that they can accomplish something...that they are competent. When they roll from their side to their belly, it's a personal accomplishment for them. When you put an infant in a position that they are not ready for you rob them of the of the struggle and of the joys of success. You are essentially relaying a message to the infant that he is not capable. Why rush physical development?"

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous

BUMP!

Anonymous

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM
....my son was lifting his head at 4 days....holding it up at 3 weeks.....
Anonymous

BUMP!

svolkov
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM
I never did mandated tummy time lol besides babies hating it I felt it wasnt needed. All three rolled, sat up, walked early
Anonymous

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Exactly. Development just happens.

Quoting svolkov:

I never did mandated tummy time lol besides babies hating it I felt it wasnt needed. All three rolled, sat up, walked early

MaliyahsMommy23
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM
My daughter is 6 months & won't tolerate tummy time very long, but she doesn't like laying on her back either. Even when I am feeding her she tries sucking the bottle while sitting up. Lol. & I didn't start short periods of tummy time pretty early with her but idt it made a difference, she still hates it.

Quoting Anonymous:

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)