Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shes 15 months and still not walking

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM
  • 5 Replies

I really really want to find a way to help DD learn to walk. She turned 15 months on the 7th and my patience with her not walking is almost gone. I understand, when shes ready she will walk but thhe problem is...She CAN do it. If you walk holding her hands and then let go...She can take a few steps like shes been doing it forever and then she realizes you let go and falls to the floor. If you try to have two people sit on the floor and have her walk between you...She leans so far back that if i let go she would go head first right into me. She pushes back so you can't let go. 

She didn't crawl until 13 months. She started pulling up (chairs, bed, etc...) at 14 months. Walking at 15 months! I hope...Shes 28 pounds and hates crawling so 80% of the day shes being carried everywhere because she refuses to crawl. If i refuse to pick her up she will crawl to me and cry until shes starting to get sick...So i give in and pick her up.

She has one of those push toys that supposedly help her learn how to walk...And she wont use it. She did for a few days and then when i try she just starts crawling away to go play with the lights and music on it.

ANY ideas?! 

Theres also a few places i wanna take her this summer and it would be alot easier if she could walk (Places she can play...That i'd rather her not be crawling around on the floor and getting stepped on) 

*She was doing REALLY good with walking at 11 months, and then she got REALLY sick (hospital stay) and after that it ruined her confidence or something because thats when all the progress with walking and crawling stopped.

~Ariannah Kate's Mommy~

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
thickmamaof2
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM
I would say don't carry her at all!!! If your going in public hold her hand with some one holding her other hand., in the house hold both hands to go from room to room. Now she's at the point where all she is doing is manipulating you. Good luck Mama
idunno1234
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I am probably going to be one of many women asking this but have you ever had her evaluated?  She may be, she probably is,  just fine but just to be sure. 

Assuming that everything is physically and neurologically fine and dandy, walking is inevitable and she may be one of those kids who starts off slow and takes off running. 

Other than getting assurances from your pediatrician that this is normal, there really isn't much you can do to hurry her along.  She will walk when she's ready.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Two of my kids didnt walk til 16.5 mnths. I would just encourage her to walk as much as plssible. Dont stress, she'll pick it up and it will make it harder for her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Yeah - I got told that my DD was manipulating me too. She didn't walk until she was 2 and a half. Why? because she had cerebral palsy. So I would get her evaluated to be on the safe side. If nothing comes up - then definetely put your foot down. She definetely sounds like she can walk - she's just being stubborn. DD couldn't even pull herself up until she was almost 2.

dtm1491
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:35 AM

If the doctor says nothing is wrong then I agree with the pp...don't carry her unless you have to. 15 months is a little late but not THAT late. My guess is she will when she is ready.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)