Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family rules imposed on others

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 150 Replies

Our family has a beach house,  it has been in the family forever.  Anyway...the beach house has no tv.  The rules have always been no electronics for entertainment purposes.  Only a stereo is allowed.  No handheld games, iPods, or cell phones.  You can bring your phone but it pretty much stays on the charger. Instead we are out on the water, playing at the beach, wandering the town, making s'mores, playing board games, and all kinds of other stuff. We are never bored.  

This year some friends are going with us for a week.  My friends husband is bitching about the rule,  he said he is a grown man and will do what he pleases.  However, I feel he should respect house rules.  My parents will be there as they spend summers there.  These rules have been in effect forever.  My grandfather built the place.  It isn't extravagant.  The wiring is up to code but not rated for much more than is in the place now. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM
11 moms liked this

Tell him he doesn't have to respect your rules....but he doesn't have to come to the house either.

MonarchMom22
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I would ask that house rules be in place within the house, yard, and when spending time as a group on outings.  If someone needs to use their devices they can take a walk away from the group.  Otherwise your friends are welcome to stay Ina nearby hotel.

we also live at the beach and have no TV on duting the day rule, no video games systems in the house, and any devices, phones, etc stay in the suitcases unless there is a specific need to contact someone.

nyxiemist
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Then he can stay home! 

jojo_star
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I think if he needs it for work, then it should be allowed, other than that, house rules should apply, he doesn't have to go if he doesn't like those rules. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Since it's your family's house then they need to follow your rules. Make it known that if the rules are broken they will not be allowed back.
anotherhalf
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
If he doesn't want to obey the rules he can pass on going. I think once you start letting some people break the rules those house rules will eventually be gone forever.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this

If he doesn't like it, his ass can stay home.  Plain and simple.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Yeah. It's pretty much a free vacation.  They are responsible for 1/3 of the meals for the week for the house.  That's all. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Tell him he doesn't have to respect your rules....but he doesn't have to come to the house either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Then he should suck it up.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah. It's pretty much a free vacation.  They are responsible for 1/3 of the meals for the week for the house.  That's all. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)