Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How f****** stupid can you be?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

Okay, let me get one thing straight; I love my boyfriends dad (basically FIL, because we've both sort of been "adopted" into each other's families after all these years. He'll be referred to as FIL from here on out because I'm lazy).

So, FIL is older and met a Filipino gal online....is it Philipino or Filipino? I've never been able to get a consensus, even from my friends of that nationality....OKAY. He met her, and it's all fine and dandy, they've been talking for over a year, and he went to see her last year and whatnot, and they are going through the process to bring her here (he's making her sign a prenup, so she can't take anything from his kids). She's not a young girl, so it's not *that* weird imo; she's in her late forties or early fifties I think, and has a decently successful business over there.

Well, she was just diagnosed with active Tuberculosis, JUST started her meds a week ago, and he STILL fucking went to go see her. He thinks it's fine, because they tested her lymph node (she went in because of a "lump" under her armpit) so according to him, it's in her bones and not her lungs so he won't get it. We (boyfriend, his sister, and I are all medical professionals) tried getting it through his head, but he is the kind of person who thinks his opinions are always the right ones. He's misunderstood that it can manifest in multiple ways and affect multiple body systems, but it is still going to transmit through her respiratory system. So now he's over there for a few weeks, and he's going to fucking bring it back with him and I cannot get fucking Tuberculosis. I take an immunosuppresant drug, and it would land me in the hospital (not to mention it doesn't go away). Not to mention all of the people on the plane he is going to expose. UGH

rant. over. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM
wow
cmeeso
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Filipino hehe.. I don't know much about TB..
junebaby11
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Filipino is how I always thought it my ex thought so too he is Filipino lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Yea. He shouldn't go.. And if he does go he shouldn't return.
Toxic.Stardust
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I believe Philippines is the place and Filipino is the race
Jscott1216
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I get that you can't help who you love. However he is putting not just his life at risk but the lives of those around him by getting them sick. It really sucks that this is happening to someone he really cares about and would like to make a life with. However he needs to think about his family.
VinhThiMom
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM
That's horrible. I'm on immunosuppressants, too, and have to have an annual TB test. That shit is deadly!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Wear masks when they come around
SageAdvice
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Um you say you are in the medical profession and yet you believe TB can't be cured?

that there aren't ways to not contract it?

SageAdvice
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I thought it could be cured with medicine?

TB is an infectious disease caused by a bacterium, M. tuberculosis, that spreads from person to person in tiny drops of moisture released when someone who has the active form of the disease sneezes or coughs. However, most people infected with the bacteria that causes TB don't have the active form, don't know that they're infected, and can't infect others. This inactive form of the disease can be diagnosed by injecting an antigen under the skin on the forearm and waiting to see if a red welt forms. If this skin test is positive, further tests, including a chest x-ray, need to be done to determine the status of the infection.

Most adult cases of active TB in the lungs are believed to occur from reactivation of the bacteria that were acquired months to years earlier, possibly from a change in the patient's immune defenses. Early symptoms of the active disease include disease include fatigue, weight loss, fever, night sweats, and loss of appetite. More severe symptoms include a cough, chest pain, and bloody sputum. TB can also develop in organs besides the lungs, especially the kidneys, bones, and tissues covering the brain and spinal cord.

If your friend has active TB, you can catch it from her, but you would have to spend, on average, eight hours a day for six months or 24 hours a day for two months working or living with her to become infected. Those most likely to become infected are people whose immune systems are weakened by HIV/AIDS, poor nutrition, drug addiction or other factors.

Fortunately, TB usually can be cured by long-term treatment with antibiotics. Two weeks after appropriate treatment begins, your friend will no longer be able to spread the disease to others.

Doctors prescribe a combination of antibiotics for at least six months and sometimes as long as two years. You have to take the drugs on schedule every day and can't stop taking them or miss a dose even if you feel better. If you don't take the drugs as instructed for the proper length of time, the TB bacteria can become resistant, making treatment more complicated and prolonged. Partly as a result of noncompliance with treatment, multi-drug resistant TB (MDR-TB) is becoming more common; it is difficult to cure and can be fatal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)