Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you consider a necessity?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
what kind of things do you consider a necessity?

to me it should only be food water and some kind of shelter. I find it ridiculous that people cant afford to feed their families or pay their own rent, but they have things like cable, Internet, and even passes to places like six flags, etc.

Priorities people, get some!
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Bump
QuirkyMom26
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Get over it and mind your own business.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Anything you would die without. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Food, shelter, healthcare, internet, love, stability, fun.
jen2150
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM

There are basic necessities and then there are necessities that would keep me from doing what I need to be able to do.  Internet is a necessity for me.  My cell phone is a necessity as well.  I wouldn't be able to do all my jobs if I didn't have them.   They actually help me to save money.  My satellite is also necessary for our family.  I guess I would say a necessity is anything that keep you from functioning at a adequate level.  I don't have any trouble feeding my family.  Why are you so upset?

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Food, drinkable water, and shelter, along with any other individual needs like medications. A necessity is something you have to have or you will die. I might not live the same without internet, I'd have to drop out of college unless I can make due at the library, but I wouldn't die. I'd just have to adjust. I know plenty of people who can't make ends meet because they simply can't do it, but I know others who just don't want to have to sacrifice. A woman I know asked me to help her sort out her finances and get her cost down, so I was looking over her expenses with her and the first things that she was looking at to cut was food, she kept saying "well if I give the kids easy mac twice a week, that will save $5 there", so I pointed out to her that instead she could stop getting her nails done and save the same amount, and she threw a fit saying she deserves to have her nails done as much as anyone else and thats her "treat", I explained that it had nothing to do with deserving, no one "deserves" to have their nails done, its simply about what you can afford and her families nutrition should come before her nails, but she just wouldn't listen.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Food, water, shelter, healthcare.
FoxFire363
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Food, water, shelter, a way to keep warm in winter and cool in summer (especially cool in summer, we always get at least one month straight of triple digit temps here and people actually do die from the heat sometimes), and weather appropriate clothing. Also, in this city I would say some sort of transportation. Our bus system is extremely limited. Most people can't get by just using the buses here.
tardistraveller
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM

rent, food, hydro, transportation money, clothing money.

I'd like to sayvet bills, but honestly the pets are a luxury too.  We have them because we can afford them. 

If you want to get down to just surviving that's all that's needed.  It's not a happy existance however.

Il Faut Ecouter!

Destiny907
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM

ya- I know what you mean.   I know a  bunch of folks on welfare and they have internet! CABLE TV!  I don't even have paid for TV.  I was on dial up for ever- until recently,  I got DSL and went crazy! LOL Because the DSL was offered at  great rate now by our phone company.  Only 10 bucks more than I was paying for dial up.

I Still do NOT have a cell phone! Too costly!

I have to watch every penny, my food budget and all are limited.

Yet the folks on welfare- they have their rent paid, they have cell PHONES I could not believe it! And yes,  a nicer TV than I do too and cableAND computers and internet.

I mean- HOW????   Nice deal to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)