Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confession of a full time working mom.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
4 moms liked this
Being a full time working mom sometimes means others things suffer like housework, extra curricular activities, time with kids etc. I have to admit my kids are not in sports or anything extra because I'm so tired when I get home I don't feel like driving anywhere. I sometimes don't feel like doing homework and on the weekends I really don't feel like entertaining my children. I work 40 hrs per week and commute 40 minutes each way. I do housework laundry dishes etc. my body is so tired from waking up at 530 am and working then getting home to make dinner and entertain kids. I started noticing myself playing on cm too much watching tv and sending my kids to their room constantly just so I can relax! My kids don't really miss me ever when I leave them at daycare or with their dad. But through all this I realized something. My time with my kids is precious. We shouldn't spend our time together in separate rooms watching tv. My kids are 5 and 8 now. Where has that time even gone??? So I started having a movie game night with my kids. It's so fun we play games, eat popcorn, and watch movies together. I've been taking them to get ice cream , doing puzzles together, and buying more and more games. Now we play games and do puzzles a lot more than once a week. They are more disciplined and respectful. I'm always planning activities and fun things we can do together. So now I've decided I'm going to try finding a teaching job so I can have the holidays with them. Please wish me luck. I just wanted to get this off my chest. I'm a lot closer to my kids now.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Juli0389
by Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I can understand where you're coming from fully!!! I also work 40 hrs and I have only the weekend to spend time with my son who is also now five so good for u for making time for your children. I hope u get the teaching job :-)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for such a sweet and thoughtful reply. I'm the only one of my dh and I who has a degree so it's out of financial necessity that I work. I see now that its important to make the most of my time.

Quoting Juli0389:

I can understand where you're coming from fully!!! I also work 40 hrs and I have only the weekend to spend time with my son who is also now five so good for u for making time for your children. I hope u get the teaching job :-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I was there before i met my dh. I worked 58 hour weeks and was always tired. My son will be 7 in november. I wish you tons of luck and good job for doing all the things youre doing with you children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Bump
RJC78
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I know what you mean.  I'm a single working mom and it really sucks.  I don't get to spend the time I want to with my DD but I do my best to make every moment count.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Bump
jojo_star
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I work full time, usually 3 12 hour shifts a week, but the last few months I've worked much more. My kids all have crazy busy schedules, between me, DH, and our oldest driving everyone around, housework is taken care of, because everyone pitches in. I do feel like I barely see my kids anymore. Mine are older and in school, when school is in session, otherwise they stay home, with friends, or out at activities. Good luck job hunting!

FL2AK
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM
I am very blessed to have a full time career that is flexible. I have never felt like I have to choose between work and my kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I wish you the best of luck!

You are so lucky to have realized this when your kids are still relatively young.  Some moms don't have this realization until their kids are much older.  You still have a lot of years left of bonding with your kiddos.

emandab
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I know where you are coming from.  I'm so tired when I get home I often do the same thing.  I know it's a problem and they need more of my attention.  I wish I had more energy.  I try to do movie nights with them though where we snuggle in my bed and eat popcorn.  It's amazing how much they get along when we are having fun.  I need a magic energy pill! I'm working on trying harder though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)