Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

then maybe you shouldnt drink...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 5 Replies
My husband barely drinks when he goes out with his friends. He is the type of guy that is usually the designated driver..or he just all together avoids situations where there will be liquor. In the last year he's only been out drinking twice and both times were because it was a friends birthday. The first time in the year that he drank, his friends wound up in a bar fight and he spent half the night in a police precinct giving a witness statement and figuring out how and if he could get his friends out of jail. Well yesterday it was his friend's birthday and he and the guys were drinking (totally different group of guys except for one friend then the last time). He spent most of the night baby sitting his friends.. watching them throw up and making sure they didn't get in trouble. He was having fun when they were just tipsy and talking, but they just continued drinking and not pacing themselves and were belligerent. I feel bad that dh didn't enjoy himself because other people just didn't know their limitations. However I tell dh, you have to know who you're drinking with. If you just go out to drink with just anyone you don't know if they'll pace themselves or if they can't handle their liquor. Also, these guys are grown men.. its not your place to babysit anyone. Just make sure they don't drive or hurt themselves and leave it at that. Sigh... at this stage in someone's life.. you should know when to stop drinking and if not.. then maybe you shouldn't drink. I've never really had to take care of my friends when we go out to drink. I think only twice I ever had to say, "hey..maybe you should just drink some water and relax with the liquor for now" and when I did my friends smiled and said, "I think you're right.. I'm totally wasted." Have you ever had a bad night because of others people's irresponsible drinking?

Mini vent over.
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
NikLvsNick
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Everytime my SO would go to a specific bar after work, something bad always happened. Most recent was one of his coworkers got hit in the head with his own beer bottle. Underage girl was in the bar with her friend (both had a fake ID) and started shit then ran. Cops found them quick. I think they wrecked a little down the road from the bar. Anyways, I get a call from my SO at about closing time saying he's going to be home a little late and gave me a rundown of what happened. He had to give a statement as well as ID the girls in the back of the cop car. He quit going there for a while. 

And the crazy thing is, he didn't go every night after work. Maybe once every week or two. And every single time something bad would happen. People are insane.

marinenonstop
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM
I agree, people are insane. Is there anywhere else he could go to unwind?

Quoting NikLvsNick:

Everytime my SO would go to a specific bar after work, something bad always happened. Most recent was one of his coworkers got hit in the head with his own beer bottle. Underage girl was in the bar with her friend (both had a fake ID) and started shit then ran. Cops found them quick. I think they wrecked a little down the road from the bar. Anyways, I get a call from my SO at about closing time saying he's going to be home a little late and gave me a rundown of what happened. He had to give a statement as well as ID the girls in the back of the cop car. He quit going there for a while. 

And the crazy thing is, he didn't go every night after work. Maybe once every week or two. And every single time something bad would happen. People are insane.

TaughtTot
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Yeah, but I turn it into comedy, take pictures and videos and show them and tell them stories the next day so they are so embarassed that they don't do it again.

And I have noticed a lot of the married crowds who go out, when I do go out, get too wasted because they think they can drink a lot, but they forgot they have been living a different life and aren't at the college dorms getting wasted every day.  So they over estimate their tolerance, and they are always the ones to get wasted.

NikLvsNick
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM

After that last incident, a lot of the guys that work at Pepsi quit going there after work and go to another bar right near there. He either goes to the other bar or brings a 6-pack home. depends on how he feels that night.

Quoting marinenonstop:

I agree, people are insane. Is there anywhere else he could go to unwind?

Quoting NikLvsNick:

marinenonstop
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM
YES! Omg, the married and or parents who barely go out act as if they were held captive for years and they finally received their freedom! Lol I barely drink, I have a renal disease so it's a rare day when I drink. I had my party years when I was younger and I used to hang with the best of them drink by drink. The last time I drank was about three years ago and by my second drink I was just passed tipsy on my way to full on drunk. I looked at dh and said. "Yup.. I'm done. Get me some water." Dh was driving so he didn't have not even a sip of liquor and he just laughed and asked, "you OK babe? Two drinks and you look plastered " I smiled and said, "hey... a few years ago I would've been OK... I'm not now." Lol

Quoting TaughtTot:

Yeah, but I turn it into comedy, take pictures and videos and show them and tell them stories the next day so they are so embarassed that they don't do it again.

And I have noticed a lot of the married crowds who go out, when I do go out, get too wasted because they think they can drink a lot, but they forgot they have been living a different life and aren't at the college dorms getting wasted every day.  So they over estimate their tolerance, and they are always the ones to get wasted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)