Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when people walk out on their tab

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
i work at a pub and grill style place. last night around 7:30 i had a group of about 8 people come in for this girls birthday. usually on a Saturday, I will have people hold their c.c on file or cash out with me if its around 9pm and dinner crowd is gone. but these people were just sitting and chilling and they were in their 30's it looked like so I figured since it was so early I would just keep tabs on them. well the group was basically couples and they stayed and talked awhile. well they stayed til it started getting busy and louder i just got this couple in the group some drinks and about 10 min later i went back to clean up empty drink and check on everyone when i noticed they were gone! i did a sweep of the place and yup they were gone. i talked to the guy who was first there and reserved the group and he kept blowing me off and being a straight ass , he was part of the group. at the end i had to bring the unpaid tab to the rest of the group and the split the cost. i felt like i was pulling teeth. i dont think it is right for me to have to pay someones drinks when the whole group is there, they could have called them. i gor no tip from anyone and i felt belittled and disrespected. the whole time i was nothing but attentive and nice. if people want to sneak out on me it really makes me mad. i guess from now on i cant trust anyone. people get mad when i make them hold cards especially when its early but people will seriously do this on a regular basis if i dont. am i wrong??
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM

it sucks,but then so do people.trust noone,not even your own family..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM
no i really know that but i dnt think its wrong to expect the group to pay the tab they were with?

Quoting quinnsmom715:

it sucks,but then so do people.trust noone,not even your own family..

Benjamins-mama
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM

what do to you mean hold their credit cards on file?   I have never been asked to do that

lesliemck86
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM
I can't believe people do that kind of shit.....
Grnyann65
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Better they be pissed off and pay their tab, than you get stiffed. No, you're not wrong. If they don't understand, let them go somewhere else.
ZoeCY
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM

No, it wasn't wrong for you to do that.  I would have done the same.  It amazes me the lengths that people will go to to not pay their bill.  We went out to eat once and there was this group of 6 or so and they all ordered a lot (several appetizers and drinks on top of their entrees) then a couple of them got up and went out for a smoke, then they others went out about 10 minutes later and we were there for another half hour after that and none of them came back.  They even left a few jackets there, so the waitress didn't think anything of it for awhile.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM
i will swipe their card and pre auth. it so if they leave it will just charge to their card. it mostly happens to me on weekends

Quoting Benjamins-mama:

what do to you mean hold their credit cards on file?   I have never been asked to do that

Benjamins-mama
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM

thats weird.  ive gone to restaurant with a bigger party and we have never been asked to give our cards before we eat.

Quoting Anonymous:

i will swipe their card and pre auth. it so if they leave it will just charge to their card. it mostly happens to me on weekends

Quoting Benjamins-mama:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM
its usually just a night, because where i work is a bar style/drink/partying. for dinner i usually dont

Quoting Benjamins-mama:

thats weird.  ive gone to restaurant with a bigger party and we have never been asked to give our cards before we eat.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Benjamins-mama:

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:46 PM

That's pretty ghetto of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)