Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paid under the table

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Would you work for a well known business in your area if they were gonna pay you under the table? What chances do you have of getting in trouble?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mmmonkey
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this
A well known business should not be paying under the table, it's illegal. I would be very skeptical about it and not do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM

In my field? Probably not. If there isn't a way to verify employment (ie taxes), it could become problematic if I were to apply for a higher position, kwim? 

hautemama83
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM
I would **shrugs**
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Nope, that can bite you in the ass hard if you get caught.

tardistraveller
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM

If you are being paid cash, it may be that they are subcontracting you and you are expected to file your own taxes at the end of year.

Il Faut Ecouter!

casseopeia
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Yes.  I haved been so screwed over and now I am facing complete financial ruin if I don't get a job of some kind.  I don't care if it's under the table or a 1099.  I just want a paying job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM

No.  It's illegal and you could be charged with tax evasion.

SageAdvice
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Yes, I would, I'd simply make sure I paid all my taxes, social security and insurance myself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Nope.  I wouldn't want to take the chance of not being paid, getting injured on the job and not being covered because I wasn't technically an employee of the company and then there is that pesky thing... you know, taxes......

Since it is completely illegal, it would be a big fat NO.

mmmonkey
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM
I worked as a contractor and filed my own taxes. I still got paid by check and got W2 forms. No real business should be paying someone under the table in cash.

Quoting tardistraveller:

If you are being paid cash, it may be that they are subcontracting you and you are expected to file your own taxes at the end of year.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)