Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pa and moving

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
A few months ago i wrote a post about how it isn't easy or cheap to move which makes it impossible for someone on pa to move to an area where there are more job opportunities.

On poster said it don't cost anything to move.

I just moved about 3 weeks ago. First, last and security, $2400, water, $265, and electric $340. Uhaul $ 200, gas for uhaul $50.

So please expand to me how moving is cheap. Plus i had to quit my job and still haven't found a job.

I am no longer on pa. We moved to be closer to dh job.

If there are any mistakes i am mobile and the auto correct keep messing everything up.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM

well when we moved from california to texas we didn't get a uhaul. we were totally starting over. we sold all our stuff except our clothes. we didn't take any furniture or anything. just threw our clothes and important papers in the back of our van and thats all we took. so all we had to was pay for gas ( which was only about $200) and then once we got where we were going, we just paid for 3 whole months worth of rent on a studio apt that we were in for only 3 months until we got a job and could afford something bigger. the studio was only $400 a month. so we only paid $1200. so total, our move was $1400. worked for us. but we did it as cheap as we could.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM
starting over is not something everyone want to do or can afford to do. We have 13 years of stuff that we don't want to replace. Plus 2 kids age 10 and 13 boy and girl. Can't have a studio apartment.

Quoting Anonymous:

well when we moved from california to texas we didn't get a uhaul. we were totally starting over. we sold all our stuff except our clothes. we didn't take any furniture or anything. just threw our clothes and important papers in the back of our van and thats all we took. so all we had to was pay for gas ( which was only about $200) and then once we got where we were going, we just paid for 3 whole months worth of rent on a studio apt that we were in for only 3 months until we got a job and could afford something bigger. the studio was only $400 a month. so we only paid $1200. so total, our move was $1400. worked for us. but we did it as cheap as we could.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM

we had 10 years worth of stuff as well. but if you really want to start over, well, you have to start somewhere. from selling all our stuff, we had the money to pick up and move. we had no choice. we had both been unemployed for 3 whole years and couldn't even get an interview anywhere. we had to move in order to survive. and in doing so, that meant selling anything that wasn't important and/or irreplaceable. if you really want to move and start over in order to survive, you do whatever you have to do and don't make excuses. and we were only in studio apt for 3 months. it was tight as we have 2 kids as well. but we did what we had to do. within 3 weeks of moving me and my husband both had full time jobs and were able to get into a 2 bdrm apt after our 3 month lease with the studio was done. if you really want something bad enough, you find ways to make it worth. especially in our case, where we really had no choice. people can do it if they really want to. 

Quoting Anonymous:

starting over is not something everyone want to do or can afford to do. We have 13 years of stuff that we don't want to replace. Plus 2 kids age 10 and 13 boy and girl. Can't have a studio apartment.

Quoting Anonymous:

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Moving is hella expensive. Seriously. We moved to another house in town, and it was eleven hundred for the rent plus deposit, utilities deposit(with another utility company) was four hundred dollars, another hundred dollars for the uhaul,gas for the uhaul which was twenty dollars, then transfer fees for transferring our cable/phone to our new address wasca hundred fifty dollars.
So,for us to move fifteen miles away to the edge of the same town was almost two grand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Is it legal for a studio apartment to rent to someone with two kids? I thought fire code everywhere was two people per bedroom.

Quoting Anonymous:

we had 10 years worth of stuff as well. but if you really want to start over, well, you have to start somewhere. from selling all our stuff, we had the money to pick up and move. we had no choice. we had both been unemployed for 3 whole years and couldn't even get an interview anywhere. we had to move in order to survive. and in doing so, that meant selling anything that wasn't important and/or irreplaceable. if you really want to move and start over in order to survive, you do whatever you have to do and don't make excuses. and we were only in studio apt for 3 months. it was tight as we have 2 kids as well. but we did what we had to do. within 3 weeks of moving me and my husband both had full time jobs and were able to get into a 2 bdrm apt after our 3 month lease with the studio was done. if you really want something bad enough, you find ways to make it worth. especially in our case, where we really had no choice. people can do it if they really want to. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:27 PM

not for long term renting. they only agreed to it if it was only for 3 months. after 3 months we had to move to a 2 bedroom apt or move out of complex completely. it was better then hotel living. it was very tight. but was only for 3 months and were able to get our 2bdrm. hopefully we never have to do that again.

Quoting celestegood:

Is it legal for a studio apartment to rent to someone with two kids? I thought fire code everywhere was two people per bedroom.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Wow you got lucky,huh? Good for you,making it work.

Quoting Anonymous:

not for long term renting. they only agreed to it if it was only for 3 months. after 3 months we had to move to a 2 bedroom apt or move out of complex completely. it was better then hotel living. it was very tight. but was only for 3 months and were able to get our 2bdrm. hopefully we never have to do that again.

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM
It's illegal in Michigan. Not to mention where I'm from(and I've been looking now for a year and a half) even the studio apartments want a year lease. If one breaks that it definitely will cost some money...in court. I have three teens. There is no way in hell a landlord would approve me in a one bdrm let alone a studio apartment,a slumlord might but there is no way in hell I'd want to do any kind of business with a slumlord.

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM

thanks. ya we had to totally call around because most places don't even do leases that short. most start out at 6 months. and we just didn't have the cash for 6 months worth. only 3. and even then most refused to rent to us with the amount of people we had. but we kept calling around. and found this older, smaller complex. the lady was really nice and really helpful and understanding. we explained our situation to her and she totally worked with us. it was a huge gamble, moving so far with no job and that. but it ended up working out very well for us. we ended up staying at this same complex. been in our 2 bedroom almost 2 years now. things are going great for us. it was tough, but we made it work. 

Quoting celestegood:

Wow you got lucky,huh? Good for you,making it work.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)