Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you've ever been part of a union...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM
  • 22 Replies

What are the pros and cons? I'm slightly nervous about my job right now and I'm just looking into options. I have a lot of connections and one of the possibilities is a well paying job, but it's union. I know very little about them and want to educate myself. It is almost double what I'm making now, but I know there are fees and other dues so I don't know if it would end up not being as much more as I think.

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3JuJu3
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I don't think the dues would be enough to make a difference if it's paying double what you're making now.  Just ask the union rep any questions you have. 

ColieO
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I'd like to also get input from different points of view, not just somebody who works for them.

Quoting 3JuJu3:

I don't think the dues would be enough to make a difference if it's paying double what you're making now.  Just ask the union rep any questions you have. 

3JuJu3
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM

What job is it?

Quoting ColieO:

I'd like to also get input from different points of view, not just somebody who works for them.

Quoting 3JuJu3:

wymama610
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I was forced to be part of a union once for a job. They suck. I had to pay over $50 a month for nothing. Doesn't sound like a lot, but at the time i could have gotten fs my pay was so shitty. They gave my money to causes I didn't agree with, and didn't listen to our collective wants when bargaining contracts. We (Majority) wanted better work rules and more money, they fought for fire retardant uniforms. The only time they would have come in handy I guess is if you were going to be fired. Even then, they only do so much, you know?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:49 PM
My husband is in a union. Up until last year we didn't have to pay any medical insurance. Now we pay just $50 a month for a family of 5.

They also have to take safety classes, and where they work at cannot do anything shady safety wise.

If he goes for anything less than 8 hours he still gets paid for 8 hours. He's had a 2 hour day before.
It's all pros IMO.
Union dues are only 200 every quarter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM
I am the anon whose husband is union.

I have years bad things about some unions. So some unions might not be as good as my dh's.
TattedReader
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM
I don't know details but my husband is part of a union and I think it's great from what I know.
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I used to be in a union. There's a lot of bennies. Usually they have good Insurance, mine had all of them, medical, dental & eyes. They also had a good retirement, & if you have problems at work that you can't resolve with you're employer, your union will help you Mediate it usually at no cost to you.

two4one
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been in unions all my working career. I am pro-union. The dues aren't so much that it would take away any reason for doing the job. Unions are there to protect you and see that all rules and regulations are followed. They will fight for you if you feel you are being treated unfairly. Unions have made for safer work environments. If they are on the up and up, will fight for your rights, more pay and better work conditions. Not all unions are the same, but for the most part I think they have helped more than hurt workers.

littlelamb303
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM

how about they can't fire you for stupid reasons?  That is a biggie. Mostly try to keep things fair on the job, the majority of union job offer benefits and a higher salary. I unfortunately have never been part of a union.  My dh has. More pros than cons.  Honestly, with his union, I can't think of anything negative.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)