Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no food stamps

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
My dh is now working we are lossing pa. We are trying to figure out how to shop and not be broke.

My dh is making decent money but with bills and gas to work we are scared we will be broke.

We are a family of 4 and need to stay under $ 400 a month. With summer being here and kids out of school i have to make sure i have food for them during the day... i am good with eating once a day but not my kids.

Before anyone spouts out any shit about having kids you couldn't afford. We were good until 2 years ago when dh got laid off. He is now working but it is $12 an hour less than what he used to make and works less hours.

Thanks
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeyEinstein
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Meal plan and use cheap staples like beans, quinoa, and make snacks like muffins and stuff. It's way healthier and cheaper!

HeyEinstein
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Buy produce on sale and meal plan around that ;)

Also shop around markets if possible. I saved tons switching where I shop.
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Why don't you google meals on a budget. You can probably find some great ideas.

MrsWhite101610
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Does the $400 include non food products? I normally only spend $200-250 on food for a month for 2 adults and 1 child. And we're home every day. Do you cook/bake from scratch?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krusesbaby
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Do a garden and or shop at your farmers market if you have one. Can things--its fun for kids to help!!-- you can use later that year. Shop fresh and seasonal. Limit the hormone loaded costly meat. Others replys also. Good luck!
wodntulk2kno1
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM
This has always been my problem with the expense of food during the summer. Our grocery bill is already through the roof and when summer hits it is out of control.
After all these years I just keep the same things I usually buy in my house. I buy granola bars since my kids are not breakfast eaters and keep fruit and easy items they can make theirselves. We go through tons of bottled water so I usually buy what's on sale. I remind my kids that what I bought has to last cause when it's all gone I won't be buying anymore until I go to the grocery store again. Dinner has always been a meal that is pretty much been planned out for the week. Just make a list of what you know you are use and add in the extras.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
enafaye
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Yes, it is tough. My single daughter is raising her son and they took her food stamps away cause she worked a couple overtimes. She needed those stamps. We have to suppliment her with food, that we cannot afford.   Try planting a garden and look for a co-op in your area.  The best way to stretch those dollars is to stock up on things on sale and use store brands. I like to go to the dollar store and get some things, though the sizes are sometimes smaller, there are some good buys. I raised 6 kids, and we were not rich, but I would bake alot and freeze alot. Make big casseroles and split them in half, freeze the leftover one.  I would make one meal aweek (sometimes two) meatless meals. I now have chickens so we are looking forward to eggs as soon as they start laying.  Glad he has a job, that is a postive in this economy.   Look for fee food pantries too if you run out at the end of the month.   Now is a good time to go to pick your own farms, you can learn to freeze and can and dry alot of fresh veggies this time of year.  If your kids are old enough get them to pitch in and help with the new adventure. They will appreciate it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I have never been able to stay low. Even when i was on pa, i tried and it never worked. I started spending less by buying in bulk but never below $ 400 a month. I can't figure out how people coupon.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Does the $400 include non food products? I normally only spend $200-250 on food for a month for 2 adults and 1 child. And we're home every day. Do you cook/bake from scratch?
HeyEinstein
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Have you thought about buying a water filter? The easy ones you just add to the faucet or a Brita pitcher?

Quoting wodntulk2kno1:

This has always been my problem with the expense of food during the summer. Our grocery bill is already through the roof and when summer hits it is out of control.

After all these years I just keep the same things I usually buy in my house. I buy granola bars since my kids are not breakfast eaters and keep fruit and easy items they can make theirselves. We go through tons of bottled water so I usually buy what's on sale. I remind my kids that what I bought has to last cause when it's all gone I won't be buying anymore until I go to the grocery store again. Dinner has always been a meal that is pretty much been planned out for the week. Just make a list of what you know you are use and add in the extras.

xtiffcokex
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM

i spent $200 for a family of 3 now we are a family of 4 and my husband is home a lot more. We spend close to $400. I meal plan and only buy things we need and a few wants. We also try to make most from scratch not ready made. So much cheaper and better in general.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)