Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I go onto FS?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

So, my boyfriend and I have been struggling pretty badly for a while. He has a job, but I recently lost mine and my new job has shit hours (8 per WEEK. I'm just grateful to have anything). The way we were living, we each payed half for everything, so we were comfortable. We can't afford all of our bills, and my mom has been helping us out as much as she can until I can find a better job. We have both been so against going on any form of public assistance, but now I am considering food stamps....is it a good idea? I feel like such a leech even thinking about it, but it would really help us out. I'm trying to get my garden going, with things like spinach, corn, peppers, various herbs, melons, the list goes on. But those probably won't be harvestable until august at the earliest. I don't buy junk food (aside from the occasional box of Kraft, because come on, it's delish!).  Mostly meats, cheeses, fresh fruits and veggies etc. I don't want to be a freeloader, but I just don't know what to do. My entire paycheck goes to our groceries and what little gas I use and literally nothing else. Ugh. 

Also...is it possible to go on it without him knowing? We aren't married, and I do 100% of the grocery shopping (aside from the occasional item or two he will pick up)...I don't want to hide it from him, but it's so shameful and we have been so adamant about not resorting to food stamps.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Food stamps are designed for reasons you listed....help when things get tough until you can get back on your feet. As a taxpayer I encourage you to seek help when you need it.

Not sure about hiding it from him though, not sure how everything works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM
It's there for people who need it. If you qualify, use it. Fuck anyone who has negative opinions about it. They aren't living your life and don't know your circumstances, and it's not their business anyway.
krusesbaby
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM
This

Quoting Roxygurl:

Food stamps are designed for reasons you listed....help when things get tough until you can get back on your feet. As a taxpayer I encourage you to seek help when you need it.

Not sure about hiding it from him though, not sure how everything works.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Food stamps are for those who need it you sound like you need it
There lots of people who work full time jobs and still need food stamps despite what people say. Don't be ashamed get you some food.
Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)