Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am ordering pizza for dinner but my step sons will get PB&J sandwiches. EDIT, POLL ADDED

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1165 Replies
12 moms liked this

Poll

Question: What do you think?

Options:

You should let them have whatever is in the home and you are wrong for telling them they couldn't have the meatballs in the first place

They were wrong but should still get pizza,

You did the right thing

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1344

View Results

Knowing that I had to take DS 2, DD 4 and DD 7 to a friend's birthday party, where we would be all day, I decided I would make spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I put the meatballs in the crock pot on low so that by the time I got home, they would be ready and I could just boil the noodles and toss a salad.

Even though the party was mostly for little ones, SS 12 and SS 14 were more then welcome to come. However, understandably, they wanted to stay home. They are usually with us every other weekend but they are also with us half of the summer, our half started this week. DH stayed home too because he wasn't feeling well (he gets bad migraines) so he was planning on sleeping all day. Anyway, I told them they could have mac and cheese, ham and cheese sandwich or a PB&J sandwich for lunch. I told them not to touch the meatballs because that's for dinner (they LOVE  meatballs)

I got home and almost all of the meatballs, meant for the 8 of us, were gone. Seeing that DH hadn't gotten out of bed, as this has been one of his worst migraines in a while, I asked the boys why they ate the meatballs when I told them not to. Each said they had only had a couple and the other had eaten most of them. With DH not feeling well, it was up to me to deal with it (usually I let him handle them, even though I have been their step mother for about 5 years, I think it's best for DH to handle problems when possible). So, knowing that pizza is their all time favorite food, I told them that since they ate everyone's dinner for lunch, I would be ordering pizza for the rest of us while they could have PB&J sandwiches. They went and called their mom and complained. She called me and started bitching saying that they have every right to any food in "their father's house" and that the meatballs are gone so they might as well get pizza just like everyone else. I told her that if I tell them not to eat food in our house, then they are not welcome to eat it. That they had 3 options for lunch and they chose to eat the food that they were told not to so I am not going to reward them by getting them their favorite food. I am ordering pizza for the rest of us because I don't have anything that I can make last minute. Not to mention, I am trying to do a cheap dinner, if I order it for just me and the little ones, one large pizza will be fine, if I order for them too, I will have to order at least 2 large pizzas.

I am almost wondering if she will bring them pizza, if she does, it will go in the trash. I am not their mother, I am fine with that but I am the adult in charge in the house and I feel that I have the right to expect them to listen to me.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:03 PM

BUMP!

lucydiamond
by LD on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM
21 moms liked this
Prepare for the bashfest but I would have done what you did. Good to know BM is enabling them.
ScreamrInAisle3
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM
18 moms liked this
In all honesty, I cant imagine punishing two growing boys for eating the meatballs. They were hungry, it was their favorite, they're still young. I would have just ordered the pizza for everyone. I don't like the idea of punishing growing children over an issue with food.
graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM
72 moms liked this
Stand your ground. They are old enough to follow your directions. Actions have consequences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM
17 moms liked this
Do you really want to start a battle over pizza and meatballs why not just have them do all the dishes instead?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM
19 moms liked this

That was selfish and disrespectful of them. I would also have them eat their lunch options for dinner. I hate when people go in food that you ask them not to touch. I really hate that, their mother needs to teach them to respect the rules. I hope it all works out for you. I would be upset as well.

LiliM
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh Lord. You're going to be skewered. However I would do the same thing with my bios. Eat what you're told not to. ... face the consequences.
misbishy
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:07 PM
6 moms liked this
I would do the same thing. My daughter did that once, I made a spinach casserole she ate all of it. I just took my son out to dinner, she had to stay home. She was angry but understood she can't do what she wants.
poietes
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:07 PM
3 moms liked this
Im sure people will bash, but I dont see a problem.
mommy053008
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:07 PM
19 moms liked this
I doubt if it were your kids eating the meatballs you would have ordered pizza and not let your little angels eat it. That's wrong on so many levels.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)