Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids just validated my reason NOT to get them electronics.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies
2 moms liked this

My kids (ages 6.5 and 5 years) love using my Kindle Fire for games. I only let them use it once in awhile, about half an hour each once a week usually just when we go to MIL's house since there's not much to do there. Well this last week they had it a bunch since I've been super busy getting ready for baby and doing things around the house so I just gave it to them. They have fought over it and my 5yo is very selfish when it comes to it...they woke up fighting over it yesterday morning so I took it away from them all day yesterday and today. The moment they woke up today they asked where the tablet was. I said hidden and they won't be getting it. They cried and pitched a fit, but their attitudes over all today were much better. All day yesterday they both constantly asked me for it and I stood firm and said no. Today my oldest asked a few times but again I said no. MAYBE if they're good tomorrow they can have it for ten minutes each but I doubt it. 

This is why I don't give them electronics...that's all they want to do and have forgotten about their toys and responsibilities. FIL wonders why I told them no electronics for Christmas last year...lol.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Thats just because you've made it this special sacred thing that they can only have for limited amounts of time. Of course they always want to use it all the time. 

My kids have every electronic out there.....they just came in from a neighborhood kickball game after spending the entire day on  baseball field.

It's just in how you choose to present these thinsg to them. 

mommy2adandykid
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

i actually discovered that there's an app specifically for the kindle fire called 'Kindle FreeTime' that you can set specific amounts of time that they can read/watch videos/play apps and after that time is used up, it won't let them do anything with it anymore.

ElitestJen
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting christina0607:

Thats just because you've made it this special sacred thing that they can only have for limited amounts of time. Of course they always want to use it all the time. 

My kids have every electronic out there.....they just came in from a neighborhood kickball game after spending the entire day on  baseball field.

Yup.  When you make something a novelty, you can't be shocked when they treat it as such. 

HeyEinstein
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM
My kids have 3 ds's and we have wii u as well Xbox 360.

They don't a t like that. They love their other toys and play often. We have a ring toss, scooters, blocks, etc... They also enjoy reading books.

Electronics are not always bad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I don't think limiting it is an issue. They rarely asked for it before this last week and when they did I'd give it to them most of the time (sometimes I'd say no though). Now that theyve both had it all week they want it constantly.  They're not allowed to have it all the time because for one it's my tablet and for two I know for a fact at least my youngest will spend every second she can on the thing. So yeah I'm going to limit it.

Quoting christina0607:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM
If they had it for a minimal amount of time over a few certain days rather then let them use it all the time everyday... It would t be so bad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Maybe it's just my kids' ages. Idk. We have a Wii and they've maybe played it four or five times. They're not interested in it and when we do turn it on they'll play a couple little sports games and quit. We have a ps3 as well but only use it for movies and netflix. DH will sometimes play a game on weekends but he hasn't done that in a very long time. The kids don't have ds's or any small electronics just for them, it's just DH and I. He has his own tablet and doesn't let them play on it at all.

Quoting HeyEinstein:

My kids have 3 ds's and we have wii u as well Xbox 360.

They don't a t like that. They love their other toys and play often. We have a ring toss, scooters, blocks, etc... They also enjoy reading books.

Electronics are not always bad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I may need this! I'll look it up.

Quoting mommy2adandykid:

i actually discovered that there's an app specifically for the kindle fire called 'Kindle FreeTime' that you can set specific amounts of time that they can read/watch videos/play apps and after that time is used up, it won't let them do anything with it anymore.

disneymom2two
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

My kids both have and use electronic a lot; they both spend huge amounts of time playing outside.  I don't allow them to use electronics at family parties or visits.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Up until last week they didn't have it all the time. They would use it occasionaly, as I said in my OP about once a week. They wouldn't beg for it then but have this week. This proves they need limited/no time on electronics and we're going back to that.

Quoting Anonymous

If they had it for a minimal amount of time over a few certain days rather then let them use it all the time everyday... It would t be so bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)