Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP **NEED PARENTING ADVICE!!**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

My 8 year old is all but refusing to do her chores... she used to do very well but since she turned 8 she does them half way and then comes and tells me "I tried my best.." and its crap work! I have to threaten her with punishment to get anything done!

examples:

1. she fed the dog, and spilled some food- and only picked up HALF THE FOOD!!, I explained that that was not ok, and told her to pick up the rest - which she did

2. we were doing some house work and I asked her to pick up the pieces of sheetrock on the porch- the little pieces.. 5 minutes later she comes in all "i tried my best" - it was half done- after a threat and being sent outside (she did it 1 piece at a time for 3HOURS!) It was finally done

3. earlier today i asked her to fold some towels and rags... she folded the towels, threw them in the closet and wadded (balled) up the rags and stuffed them under the towels- a spanking later she fixed it

then i got to thinking.. i asked her to sweep the back room earlier, before going to the park  ... hmmm

4. there was crap ALL OVER the floor... no way she could even claim she tried there.. so she is re-sweeping it and the kitchen followed by shower and bed

these examples are just a few... everything is half done..

i just dont know what to do... thoughts help... anyone????

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM

bump

LooneyLovegood
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Try rewarding her with things she likes to do. Have her earn tv time, computer time, game time ect. By completing her chorse ( it also helps to have a chore chart) if she only finishes her job half way, she only gets half her time on fun stuff.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:06 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM

bump

12345abcde54321
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM

i think you should just keep doing what you're doing. insist that she finish, don't let her get away with doing a shitty job. i would also make it so that her dilly dallying requires her to miss out on some things.. like 'do this job and if you do a good and fast job i'll have time to play a game of cards with you'. if she doesn't do it fast and well, 'sorry kid, you wasted all of our card playing time and now i have to make dinner. we'll try again later'. something like that.

mmr520
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Has someone told her that its okay to not succeed if you "tried your best?" This bit of advice is great in some circumstances, but not all. Maybe telling her that you have faith in her to do a better job if she tries harder. Trying your best only works when you really do try to do a good job.
GwenGray
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I grew up with physical training for punishments. Push ups, mountain climbers, holding a sheet of paper to a wall strait armed and with one finger, etc. I suggest it.
Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Sounds like she saw someone get by with just an "A for effort" type situation. Keep staying on top of her and stay consistent. She'll eventually learn that she isn't going to get away with not trying. TIme and maturity will take care of that, too.

HappySquirrel
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I make my son clean the yard of all things that do not belong. He also does not get television. He will have to labor for hours under my direct supervision.
When he does well, he is equally rewarded.
Stacipr
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I wish I could help more. My now 10-year-old dd is the same way.  She once told me she didn't need an allowance, when I tried that as a reward!  The change today...she was diagnosed with ADD about a month ago and put on a special vitamin like pill...no real meds.  It has fish oil and the same stuff you find in baby formula for brain growth.  It has helped.  She cleaned her room this week with only one asking and without the constant supervision I've had to give in the past.  I hate to suggest getting her checked out, but it made such a difference for us in both home and school that I thought I would share.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)