Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cheap dinners

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:13 PM
  • 30 Replies

This week we are having to eat super cheap due to having to pay some extra bills this month. I need to feed my family of 4 on around $50 this week (dinners only-I already have bfast and lunch covered). What are some of your go-to meals that are super cheap to make. I love to cook and would love if it were crockpot recipes or something similar. I'd like to avoid ramen noodles and hot dogs, lol.

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I think a whole chicken is cheap, can feed everyone and will have leftovers. Season it and bake it. Have it with rice.

Pasta with veggies is very cheap.

You can make your own burgers with ground beef.

Caseroles are good too, I just don't find them filling.

Shepherd's pie is quick one pot meal too.

"I like that about the Republicans; the evidence does not faze them, they are not bothered at all by the facts"  PresidentWilliam J. Clinton

svolkov
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Split pea soup is one of my fAves...3$ plus homemade bread!. Chili....use half your ground beef in that and use the rest a few days later in spaghetti
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Chicken breast, taco seasoning and salsa in the crockpot. Serve over noodles or in a tortilla with cilantro and sour cream. My kids love it.

Chicken breast and italian dressing in crockpot. Serve over rice.

Chicken breast and bbq sauce in crockpot

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Spaghetti. Rice is cheap and will stretch any meal to be more filling - stir-fry, rice and beans, throw some stuff together for a casserole. I just made one with rice, half a jar of salsa, a can of beans and corn, some tomatoes, leftover chicken, and cheese. Topped it with sour cream and it was pretty bitchin' and also cheap considering it was dinner one night and then lunch for 2 days afterwards.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Bean soup, tacos, spaghetti, stir fry...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NewMamaBoo
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I bake lots of chicken to use in salad, sandwiches and anything

ChicMommy06
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Definatley agree with whole chickens! If you crock pot is big enough you can BBQ it in the crock pot! So good! Serve with rice and corn that's like a $10 meal.

Spaghetti is one of my cheap go to meals also

I know you wanna avoid hot dogs but this week we are making chili cheese dogs and fries one night. Yummy and not boring lol.
emmypaige
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM
We make a lot of curry here, all different types. If you have the spices you can make a bunch for fairly cheap just veggies, spices, and rice or bread (I don't eat either with mine, but the fam does).
jcampbell288
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM

my 2 fav. cheap-o recipes are

mushroom pork chops- 1 can cream of mushroom + pork chops and salt and pepper (can be crock pot)- this if my families fav meal!

veggie spagetti - $1 sauce with sauted onions and a bell pepper, mushrooms and zuchini and noodles of your choice

misbishy
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Tuna and noodles, spaghetti, egg salad, mac and cheese with ham, beans and winnies, and hamburger helper. Hope that helps. If I where not working I'd post recipes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)