Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need decorating ideas!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

We rent from two very lovely landlords and live in an adorable old house, built back in the early 20s. I am so in love with this place, and even with it's few flaws, I wish it were my own. The biggest problem I have with it is every single wall in every single room is WHITE. Kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedrooms. ALL FUCKING WHITE. Ugh, I feel like I'm trapped in an asylum. We have lived here since August and plan on staying as long as we can, but I just can't stand the white walls. We have several fireplaces (non working unfortunately, all bricked up which is another eyesore but tolerable) with mantles and I've decorated them but these walls are killing me. I've gotten the wall stickers from Dollar Tree for the girls' bedroom but it still isn't enough, so I hung posters. That helps a bit. But for our bedroom, the baby's bedroom, and the living room we need SOMETHING that won't ruin the walls (not sure how landlord feels about nailing/hanging things) and will look nice. Ideas?

Here's a couple pics

Living room before we moved in. Love the old wood burning stove, we used it all winter, but look at these afwul white walls. Even the windows don't have a way to put up curtains...I'm thinking about installing curtain rods and whatnot and buying some anyway. 

Kids' bedroom wall before and after moving in (no recent pics of the wall decor though)

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I don't see the point of this post. There's nothing special about your house. Besides the cute fireplace it appears dumpy. Weird that you'd take pride in that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not, really. It's just old. The landlords have fixed it up and added new features without messing up the old. I just wished they hadn't left the white walls. So it's not fancy and the nicest place. You haven't seen the rest of the house, and we are comfortable here. It's huge, has a nice yard we can play in, in a great location, and really the best place around. Sorry it's not up to your standards but I like it. My point is it does seem plain and I'd like some neat ideas to make it "not so dumpy". 

Have a great day, hateful anon :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't see the point of this post. There's nothing special about your house. Besides the cute fireplace it appears dumpy. Weird that you'd take pride in that.

Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Well I would look into your lease about hanging things, usually it's allowed as long as you patch and paint over the patches. Then hang curtains, get some pictures that go along with your furniture, hang family pics etc. Pinterest is a great place to get ideas.

elitish
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Buy a canvas and different colored inks. Drop the ink into the canvas and then use a dropper to drop rubbing alcohol on the ink to make it bleed into a "splatter". The kids can help with this and it's a big colorful artwork your whole family made.
elitish
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM
They also have stick on wallpaper made for renters. Designs, patterns, color, you name it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Ask the landlord.  They may not mind if you reprint when you leave.  Of course you should hang curtains.  They don't expect you to live without them.

popo_rambo
by Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Have you asked them if you could paint the walls a nice neutral color and run the colors by them first. Also, they make tabs to hang art that won't damage walls. You could always add curtains, colorful ones, to help break up all the white. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I love this idea, I'll look into it!

Quoting elitish:

Buy a canvas and different colored inks. Drop the ink into the canvas and then use a dropper to drop rubbing alcohol on the ink to make it bleed into a "splatter". The kids can help with this and it's a big colorful artwork your whole family made.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Well there are no rods or hooks for curtains on any of the windows, it appears it wasn't intended. The previous tenants didn't have curtains either.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ask the landlord.  They may not mind if you reprint when you leave.  Of course you should hang curtains.  They don't expect you to live without them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I'm pretty sure they don't want us painting.

Quoting popo_rambo:

Have you asked them if you could paint the walls a nice neutral color and run the colors by them first. Also, they make tabs to hang art that won't damage walls. You could always add curtains, colorful ones, to help break up all the white. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)