Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it too late? (Breastfeeding/pumping)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
DD was born late Friday night and had issues latching. The LC suggested pumping, but the hospital didn't have any pumps. She was a month early so I hadn't bought my own yet. If I get a pump tomorrow, Tuesday at the latest, would I still be able to pump? I hold out little to no hope of getting her to latch, but I'm hoping I can at least pump.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Hand pump for now. Where are you located?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM
I'm in Texas. I don't even have a hand pump. I was planning to get one electric and one hand when DH got paid this week. :( I REALLY wanted to at least be able to give her something.

Quoting Mazie0723:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Don't despair. Sometimes it takes a bit for some kids to latch on. Finding the right position is key.  My cousin's daughter learned to latch on while my cousin laid in bed with a pillow propping her daughter towards her. Crazy, but it worked.

Get your pump and pump as often as you can. The more you pump the more you stimulate the milk to come in.

Women who haven't had children can stimulate their breasts to produce milk.

Good luck to you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM
I'm still making milk, and leaking, I'm just scared I'm going to dry up, even if I do manage to start pumping.

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't despair. Sometimes it takes a bit for some kids to latch on. Finding the right position is key.  My cousin's daughter learned to latch on while my cousin laid in bed with a pillow propping her daughter towards her. Crazy, but it worked.

Get your pump and pump as often as you can. The more you pump the more you stimulate the milk to come in.

Women who haven't had children can stimulate their breasts to produce milk.

Good luck to you!

Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Use your hand to squeeze it out.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm in Texas. I don't even have a hand pump. I was planning to get one electric and one hand when DH got paid this week. :( I REALLY wanted to at least be able to give her something.

Quoting Mazie0723:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Hands work too. Wring those bad boys out!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM
How the heck do you do that? Seriously I'm lost.

Quoting Mazie0723:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mazie0723:

Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Grab your breast above your areola and squeeze do it into a cup or bottle. Well that's how I did it. Or search YouTube.

Quoting Anonymous:

How the heck do you do that? Seriously I'm lost.

Quoting Mazie0723:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mazie0723:

PinkHart
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Apply for WIC, they will give you one

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mazie0723:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Yes. In the mean time still keep trying to latch her on. Sometimes it takes a while for the baby to get it. Try the breastfeeding group here. They will give you tons of info & advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)