Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Registered sex offenders shouldn't be allowed to own computers or have internet access.

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM
  • 40 Replies

Of course, there's really no way to stop them - realistically. It would be nice to know that everyone's innocent photos of their children posted on the internet weren't being viewed by pedophiles and violent criminals. 

EDIT - ADD: I don't like dancing that fine line between 'sex offender' and pedophile. I know that there are technical differences between them, but I had a classmate named Jeremy in High School. He 'fathered' 3 babies before dropping out, with girls younger than him. Then he went on to become a 27 year old who connected with me socially as a 'friend' on Myspace (back in the day). Suddenly, he was posting NUDE images of his obese, underage girlfriend in bondage! She was bound in duct tape. You couldn't see anything 'private' because of her position and well, girth prevented her from being exposed in some photos. Turns out, she was 16. I actually saw these images. There they were, on my screen - I couldn't click off fast enough to 'unsee' them. I felt horrible. I wanted to wash my eyes out with bleach and I blocked him. I didn't know the girl was so young, I assumed she was 18, she appeared consentual by her expressions. Her parents sent him to prison. 

So, technically - he should have access to the internet? Hmm.. 

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM
3 moms liked this
You know a sex offender is not necessarily a pedophile or rapist right? An 18 year old who had sex with a 17 or 16 year old consensually should be able to have their computer and internet.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM
3 moms liked this
You do know that not all sex offenders are pedophiles, right?

What about the pedophiles who haven't yet been caught? They have computers and Internet.

Don't post your private family photos on public sites. Keep your Fb private. Don't add anyone you don't know irl. Keep your personal information private. Is it really that hard?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM
My friend has to register yearly as a sex offender. He was 17 and his GF was almost 16 when they got together. He turned 18 when they broke up and her parents pressed charges on him, he got a measure 11 charged for statutory rape.
Goodbye.BlueSky
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Not everyone who is a registered sex offender is a pedophile. Some of them didn't do anything really wrong...like you hear about teenagers getting in trouble for sending naked pics to each other. Not that it's not wrong to do that, but there's no need to label someone for life over something like that. Or take away their internet access.

I mean, I'd be all for it if someone wanted to put in the man power to figure out which offenders are the real pedophiles and which ones just got caught in a sucky situation...

kitty8199
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM
All sex offenders aren't sexual deviants. As crazy as that sounds when saying out loud.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andreamarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:41 PM
To keep sex offenders off the webb pre-paid cells would have to be done away with. Back ground checks for contract phones. They would have to be banned from librarys and people would have to be fined or sent to jail for allowing them to use thiers.
I dont see that happening.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Sex offenders should be castrated and locked up permanently. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM
There are already states that have these laws. I have read about certain cases where they are not allowed to have internet.
SageAdvice
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Most registered pedophiles are already ordered by the court that they can not access the internet! That doesn't stop many though.

Do not post your childs pictures online. Lock down your internet.  I.E. facebook, flickr, etc.

Good luck though cause people who do have access to your photos, most times have no problem sharing them with others.

*shrugs* welcome to the world wide web

LoveNaCupcake
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:44 PM

This.

Quoting Anonymous:

You do know that not all sex offenders are pedophiles, right?

What about the pedophiles who haven't yet been caught? They have computers and Internet.

Don't post your private family photos on public sites. Keep your Fb private. Don't add anyone you don't know irl. Keep your personal information private. Is it really that hard?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)