Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy a disability??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
How is it a disability? Why does pregnancy fall under the disability act?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:02 PM
No. But I was so sick it felt like it. I had to have iv fluids and meds every week.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM

A disability is a condition that affects your ability to perform mundane tasks. Some complications during pregnancy can leave one temp disabled. I was on strict bedrest. Couldn't even get up to pee. So I was classifed as short term disability. Normal pregnancy is NOT disability.

MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Ditto.I was also on strict bedrest.No sitting up,not getting up to pee,ect.So yes,a temp. disability.But normal pregnancies are in no way a disibility.

Quoting Anonymous:

A disability is a condition that affects your ability to perform mundane tasks. Some complications during pregnancy can leave one temp disabled. I was on strict bedrest. Couldn't even get up to pee. So I was classifed as short term disability. Normal pregnancy is NOT disability.

LectioDivina
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM

because your pelvis might split apart.

LectioDivina
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM

because you might throw up so often you have to be hospitalized

LectioDivina
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:09 PM

because your blood pressure might get so high it's hard to walk more than a few feet

BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Laying in bed right now with my stomach pitching. Trying my best not to puke, I sure feel disabled. And pure fucking miserable
lhiannan
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I would say that it is probably because it's considered a medical thing, and is for protection from discrimination based on the fact that you are pregnant.  That way, you can't be penalized at work, or forced to do things that you are not physically capable of due to pregnancy.

staci1103
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Pregnancy itself does not but complications of pregnancy do
LectioDivina
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:10 PM

because your back might be under so much strain your muscles start tearing apart

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)