Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not sure what to do about college.... :/

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

I have been wanting to go back to college and I thought I wanted to do Nursing. I have been set on it for almost 10 years now but now I am just second guessing myself. I think I should just go for nursing and then I'm like maybe I shouldn't. I have been getting a lot of pressure from my SO about going as well as my mom. My mom isn't as bad because she never went to college but my SO is already getting his Master's and is graduating next May. Idk what to do ladies! Any of you want to go to school but aren't sure what you want to do either? Any ideas that might help me make up my mind?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Can you take a semester to take a couple of different course and see what you like? The further you push it back the more you will regret not starting sooner.
mamaraylene
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

First off, start by filling out FAFSA. Then, talk to your local college and see what needs to be done about starting classes. Start out with the basics first to see where you want to go or even if it's something you want to do. EVERYONE has to start out with basic classes. I graduate Spring 2014 with 2 Associate's Degrees with honors and I love it and I've did it with 3 kids. :) Good luck!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Well if I want to do Nursing I can start with those classes. I think starting those classes and seeing if I like it or can handle it will be good. I already know what needs to be done about starting classes because I was going to start last year but I decided to wait till next year due to moving out of state and I will go back there next year and start. My other problem is whatever I do I need to be able to do when I move out of the country as I will not be living in the US too much. Depends on where my SO's job takes him. He works with oil companies so who knows where we would be going.

Congrats though on graduating next spring with 2 degrees!! :) Thats awesome! I hope that if I stick with nursing I get my associates as an RN.

Quoting mamaraylene:

First off, start by filling out FAFSA. Then, talk to your local college and see what needs to be done about starting classes. Start out with the basics first to see where you want to go or even if it's something you want to do. EVERYONE has to start out with basic classes. I graduate Spring 2014 with 2 Associate's Degrees with honors and I love it and I've did it with 3 kids. :) Good luck!!!

tossed
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have not been in school in a decade, it may be out of your control. Here, the nursing programs are EXTREMELY competitive and sometimes take applying 2--3 times before approval, if ever. You need to start by taking placement exams at your local college and see where you stand. Will you need to take a math refresher course? Do you have the science prerequisites? Are there other allied health professions that interest you? You should go and talk to the specific department advisor, not the advisor in the general ed department. Look into the specific requirements and see if you can fit them into your life. My son is in respiratory therapy and about to graduate. His program is extremely demanding and takes a lot of hours...far more than the normal college schedule. For example, this semester, his clinical shifts are 12 hours long. He has a 1 hour credit course that meets for 8 hours a week and has about 14 hours of homework due to the simulations that must be completed outside of class. Some of his clinical assignments are about 50 miles from home. Do you have childcare and transportation? There are a lot of questions you need to answer.

On the plus side, I think adult students often make better students because they are more serious and are not caught up in the dating drama. Start with what interests you. You might consider shadowing different professionals to see if you enjoy the work atmosphere.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:24 PM

How can I find out about shadowing someone? Would they let me  shadow even though I'm not a student?

I have all the childcare and transportation stuff taken care of I'm just mainly worried about a job I will enjoy and can take with me out of the country.

Quoting tossed:

If you have not been in school in a decade, it may be out of your control. Here, the nursing programs are EXTREMELY competitive and sometimes take applying 2--3 times before approval, if ever. You need to start by taking placement exams at your local college and see where you stand. Will you need to take a math refresher course? Do you have the science prerequisites? Are there other allied health professions that interest you? You should go and talk to the specific department advisor, not the advisor in the general ed department. Look into the specific requirements and see if you can fit them into your life. My son is in respiratory therapy and about to graduate. His program is extremely demanding and takes a lot of hours...far more than the normal college schedule. For example, this semester, his clinical shifts are 12 hours long. He has a 1 hour credit course that meets for 8 hours a week and has about 14 hours of homework due to the simulations that must be completed outside of class. Some of his clinical assignments are about 50 miles from home. Do you have childcare and transportation? There are a lot of questions you need to answer.

On the plus side, I think adult students often make better students because they are more serious and are not caught up in the dating drama. Start with what interests you. You might consider shadowing different professionals to see if you enjoy the work atmosphere.

themissheather
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM
I have no advice, just want to say I understand not knowing what to do about school. I'm in the same boat.
jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I have 2 Associate's, but every employer wants a Bachelor's. Unfortunately, though, I only have 7K left of Financial Aid for an undergraduate degree.

tossed
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Shadowing is not done through the school. Let's say that you are interested in being an occupational therapist. You think of a lot of questions, write them down. Call a respiratory therapist and ask them if you can talk to them about their profession and see if they would allow you to watch them for a day or part of a day. If you are interested in being a medical assistant, start with your own doctor's office and see if they would let you see behind the scenes.

It is really hard to know what type of medical job would be available to you in another country, especially since you don't know what country your husband might end up in. Most places require that you have a license in their state or country, so having a nursing degree in the US is certainly no guarantee that you could work in another country.

Quoting Anonymous:

How can I find out about shadowing someone? Would they let me  shadow even though I'm not a student?

I have all the childcare and transportation stuff taken care of I'm just mainly worried about a job I will enjoy and can take with me out of the country.

Quoting tossed:

xxBiteMExx
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Im a VERY indecisive person. I wanted to go to college but never knew for what. Then I would register for school but then end up moving. It sucked!! Im now 24 (todays my bday) and I just started school June 3rd. Im going for an OTA though. (Occupational Therapist Assistant). I know it will all be worth it at the end.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cozie_Sisika458
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM
I originally went to school for RHIT I went back a year ago and now I am going for Art Therapy. I also want to do Children's literature and write/illustrate books.
It is ok to change your mind do something you enjoy, I didn't enjoy the medical field.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)