Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rhubarb is POISONOUS!!!! (update!!!!!)

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:16 PM
  • 41 Replies

Yes I know its just the leaves.  We moved into this house and I LOVE my tomatoes, had the perfect place.  Weeded it bare and planted my plants.  Well I stopped having to plant because they just started reseeding every year from the past years fallen tom's.  I noticed this HONKIN thing taking over where my tomatoes go and DH thought this was a rhubarb plant.

IS it rhubarb or only a weed that looks like it and how can I make sure what it is before I cook it?

I only took the last pic to show how stinkin big the stalks are!

Its not rhubarb.  I took some down to our neighbor to check and he said it looked right in the pics but once it was in hand it isnt.  He said that rhubarb has a smooth leaf. Mine is fuzzy. Out it goes!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tardistraveller
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:17 PM

mmmm....  pies.....  That's rhubarb!

Perfect.Pixie
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Bump
Mixer_Star
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Those stalk and leaves look like rhubarb to me. Does it smell like rhubarb? That second pic looks a little strange (maybe it's the angle or something), but the others look right.

Have you done a search to see what other plans look like rhubarb?
kaylaybaby666
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Cook it and it won' be poisonous
Mixer_Star
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM
The stalks aren't poisonous; we even eat them raw. The leaves are always poisonous, even if you cook them. Never eat the leaves and never feed them to your pets.

Quoting kaylaybaby666:

Cook it and it won' be poisonous
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Definitely rhubarb! Enjoy!
You can freeze it to use later too btw!
msalice_21
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Is that the same stuff they make pies with??
Mixer_Star
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Yes. Rhubarb's other name is Pie Plant.

Quoting msalice_21:

Is that the same stuff they make pies with??
horseap
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Quoting Mixer_Star:

Those stalk and leaves look like rhubarb to me. Does it smell like rhubarb? That second pic looks a little strange (maybe it's the angle or something), but the others look right.

Have you done a search to see what other plans look like rhubarb?
I didnt know rhubarb had a smell =/ I have done pic searches and I havnt seens any exactly like this. Most are all small bushes that remind me of a hosta type plant.(small central based stalks KWIM?) This is tall and the second pic I took because it was so dif from all the others that I have seen. This one is branch like and treeish. (it reminds me more of a yucca bush at the bottom with a tall stem.) There is another plant just like it but no where near its size right next to it. Is there like a m/f version of the plant where one flowers? Because the one next to it (you can see it in the first pic its just blends into the big one) is so different. Is it tall because its an old plant?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
agrisham13mom
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Yup that's rhubarb :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)