Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 45 Replies

So and I were talking about what activities we want to put the kids in for fall. DD7 wants ballet for the first time. Ok done. Ds is the issue. He is 5, but he is NOT athletic AT ALL. And he's, well I say unique. The kid is OBSESSED with competition shows. The Voice, Idol, America's Got Talent, heck he watches The Biggest Loser and Fashion Star. Anything that has a clear winner he LOVES. He loves watching from the auditions all the way to the finale and will tell you all about it. He also loves to imitate the acts but also the hosts.

I think we should put him in acting. SO thinks we need to put him in a sport and at least let him try it . Now let me say this. SO is NOT against the acting he just thinks he should at least try a sport first before we just say "he's not a sport kid". 

So what would you do?

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM

What does your son say when you ask him to join a sport? If he doesn't want it I wouldn't do it. My DD tried soccer and HATED IT!!! I regretted pushing her into it, so now it's up to her. She has chosen art classes.

I'd ask him what type of activity he wants to join. Give him options. Whatever HE PICKS, I'd go with.

FishPhood
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Acting, voice lessons, piano... I'd ask if he wanted to do those instead of a sport. Nothing wrong if he's not a sport kid :)
reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Some days he wants to do the acting and some days he wants to do this "all sports" class they offer here where the little ones get to try a new sport each week.

Quoting KairisMama:

What does your son say when you ask him to join a sport? If he doesn't want it I wouldn't do it. My DD tried soccer and HATED IT!!! I regretted pushing her into it, so now it's up to her. She has chosen art classes.

I'd ask him what type of activity he wants to join. Give him options. Whatever HE PICKS, I'd go with.

reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM

He told me today he wants to work on singing so he can have a single like Blake Shelton lol. Last week he wanted to do the sport classes. They offer one here where they can try a new sport every week for six weeks. I just see such a potential in acting. He is a natural performer.

Quoting FishPhood:

Acting, voice lessons, piano... I'd ask if he wanted to do those instead of a sport. Nothing wrong if he's not a sport kid :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I let my children decide what they want to do.

TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM

What about art classes?  Or learning an instrument?

boysrjoys2
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Ask your ds what he would prefer doing. He may love both. My oldest is clearly better at performing arts but he LOVES sports and wants to play even if he's not the best at it its all in fun. :)
Mommy4000
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I agree with your husband, in the matter of at least having him try it, before you just decide it's not his thing. Of course if you present it to your son and he's absolutely opposed to it, don't force it, but if he wants to try, let him try. My daughter loves dance, but we put her in soccer along with her brother one year, and she loves that just as much. He can have more than one interest, but he will never know what all his interests are, unless he tries them.

reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM

We live in a smallish town and at his age, 5, those are not an option yet unless we get private lessons which just isn't in the budget right now. 

Quoting TableforSeven:

What about art classes?  Or learning an instrument?

reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:43 PM

He changes his mind daily. So that's why we are trying to decide for him lol. He did bowling last fall and liked it, they both did. But we want to try different things so they can find what they like.

Quoting boysrjoys2:

Ask your ds what he would prefer doing. He may love both. My oldest is clearly better at performing arts but he LOVES sports and wants to play even if he's not the best at it its all in fun. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)