Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Today, I wished kids weren't allowed in public :/

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

I obviously don't really believe this, but today i was just in awe at how bad some kids can be.

I work in a children's store. I understand (especially as a parent) that kids are not always perfect angels. I understand that kids have tantrums for any number of reasons.

Today, I spent 30 minutes with a customer while her 5 year old kids ran amock around my store. They broke the door of the fitting room. they knocked down a display case of jewelry. They were extremely loud. (not crying. Literally screaming as loud as they could while I helped their mom).

The only time she said anything to them was when they broke the door and the display case. Even then, they still didn't behave.

I didn't say anything to her about it. i was nice and cordial. i tried to engage the kids.

At one point she responded with "It's okay if they act like this right? i mean, this -is- a children's store."

what was I supposed to say? "Your kids are fucking demon spawn that need discipline?" I had to smile and bear with it.

They didn't even leave the store until 10-15 minutes after close and I had to spensd an extra hour trying to clean up the mess they made.

yesterday, a child threw up all over floor and on a table with t-shirts. I would rather have dealt with that again, then today with these kids. Holy shit. :/

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not_A_Native
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM

One of my daughters worked in a childrens store for about 1 1/2 years while attending college.  The kids (and parents) were sometimes just awful.  Throwing stuff, climbing on stuff, breaking stuff.  Oh, and the theft by parents was amazing!

After 1 1/2 years, she started selling bras at a lingerie store, lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM
That's how it goes when you work with the public.
Mommy2b2many
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Please tell me you're kidding! She seriously had the gall to ask you that? If she had to ask she KNEW her children were not being appropriate. Yes kids misbehave; but I would have asked her to leave. I used to work at a boutique and a child was running around the store and decided to throw a snowglobe into a glass display case; shatterign it. The mom's only response "I bet that happens often right?"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM

what does your manager say about customers damaging merchandise?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Honestly, I've never seen anyone behave this badly before. i've worked retail for years, even at Wal-mart. I'd rather have dealt with the hostile shoplifters than with this woman and her two kids.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

One of my daughters worked in a childrens store for about 1 1/2 years while attending college.  The kids (and parents) were sometimes just awful.  Throwing stuff, climbing on stuff, breaking stuff.  Oh, and the theft by parents was amazing!

After 1 1/2 years, she started selling bras at a lingerie store, lol.

heavenly1462
by Jessica on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:57 PM
I feel for you. I used to work for Gap and Gap Kids Outlet. I went through the same things. I had the lead sales in the Kids side so they always put me there. The parents were so rude and the kids were running around. The theft was AWFUL! They'd have their kids distract us workers and then the parents would walk out with a stack of shirts or pants!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:57 PM

She gritted her teeth and just dealt with it.

On a plus side, i got a card from her for being so patient.

Quoting Anonymous:

what does your manager say about customers damaging merchandise?

nelliesmommy
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I work in retail and it is rediculous the way people let their kids run wild and act up in a store.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I would have asked her to pay to fix the door. Or after 10 minutes of this I would have asked her to leave. You can't control your kids? Then you don't have the "right" to be in my store.

LaughCryLive
by Emerald Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Fuck that. I'd tell them to leave.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)