Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've got an issue with Schools of Choice

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 177 Replies
1 mom liked this

We live in a desirable school district. My son is starting Kindergarten in the fall with a class size of 20 (according to the current registration numbers). All 20 kids live in our district. I just learned that there are about 10 parents who live out of district who plan to petition the school board to let their kids in the class too.

Sorry, but you don't live here. Why should my kids class be overcrowded? We moved here for the schools, and have paid high taxes for years for the opportunity to send our kids there. If I wanted my son crammed in a K class of 30 I could've moved elsewhere. I hope the board turns them down.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:19 AM
I agree with you. That would really annoy me
Mish321
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Why can't they go to their school district school? Is you school better?

cookiemonster77
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know why you're anon. I would be annoyed too

PikachuLuver
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I honestly feel the same way you do, even though I know I will get bashed.

If you don't live within the school district, GO TO YOUR OWN (unless of course your child is in special ed, and they do not have that at your local school)!

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM
We have three elementary schools and we pretty much choose where to send our children
melschlegs
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I have an issue with our area, who doesn't offer school of choice.  We live in an apartment, and are looking for a house so we can settle down.  Unfortunately, with our budget, the only places we can currently afford with the space we need for our family are in a horrible school district.  Tell me, why should my family's comfortability suffer for a good education, and vice versa?  It makes zero sense.

briellesmomma
by Velvet on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM
I haven't gotten to this level yet. My daughter is only 2. Not sure how i would feel.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this
School of choice has a purpose. There is plenty of research out there that shows that children who attend higher achieving schools generally achieve more in their lives. Therefore, everyone wants their children in those schools. While I see your point, I think that if the district allows school of choice, the district needs to come up with a solution that will work. A good solution is certainly not a kindergarten classroom with 30 children though.
Katenemsmom
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM
We go to a popular school choice too. Our school is currently at capacity and school choice is not open because we are at capacity. I wouldn't worry too much. about it. There is only so much space and it looks like your school is at capacity if they have already been denied.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Quoting Mish321:

Why can't they go to their school district school? Is you school better?

Their district is fine, but it is big. Ours is known for smaller classes and more individual attention, as it is a much smaller district.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)