Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You don't want me BFing at your house unless I go in a private room???? EDIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 666 Replies
25 moms liked this

My DH and I have a 2 week old baby girl. She exclusively breastfed and, well, she is always BFing. The doctor said this is normal and that it's only because she is so small ( she is barely 5 LBS, she was born at 35 weeks) and to let her nurse whenever she will take it.

Anyway, I called MIL to tell we will be at FIL's birthday party on Saturday. She said "great, I will make sure the guest room is cleaned up for you to nurse in". I said "I appreciate that but since she spends half her time nursing, I just cover with a blanket and nurse wherever I am". I was assuming that where I BF is MY choice. She said "oh, well, I don't feel comfortable with that and I am sure the other women there with their husbands wouldn't either". I said "well, like I said, if a man is staring at  a covered breastfeeding mother then his wife's problem is with him, not me. But if that is how you feel, then I think we will pass on the party. If I have to spend half the time in the other room by myself, I might as well just stay home, I'll ask DH if he still wants to go though". She then suggested that I pump before hand so I can feed her out in the living room. I told MIL that DD doesn't take a bottle and it really is too much of a hassle to pump that much anyway plus if I got 4 hours without nursing, I get engorged. I know that she was wanting to show the baby off at the party.

I talked to DH about it and he said that he thinks it's up to me. He said since I do cover up, anyone who has a problem with it is immature and he understands that I don't want to spend half the time in the other room. He called his mom and said that if I don't go, he isn't going to go and that he thought she was being ridiculous about the whole issue (she bottle fed and so did pretty much everyone in DH's family).  DH told her to call us if she changes her mind. He also suggested that (mil, FIL and DH's extended family) not come to his birthday next month because I and 2 of my cousins will be breastfeeding out in the open, and we wouldn't want to upset anyone.

EDIT

Many of you are responding saying "her house, her rules" or that I am disrespectful for not following her rules. All of the comments would be very valid IF I had posted that I was going to go and breastfeed out in the living room whether she liked it or not. I didn't say that though, I simply said that if that is her rule, then we will just not go. I have not said she doesn't have the right to make rules in her house, I simply said that  I don't want to abide by that rule. But, out of respect, I will just not go instead of going and breaking her rule.

I am going to BF my child. I am not going to hide in the other room to do so so MIL is going to have to decide to either get over her problem with BFing or not see her grandchild for the first year.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM

BUMP!

PikachuLuver
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM
7 moms liked this

It would piss me off honestly, and I wouldnt go.

theosgirl45
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM
5 moms liked this

Completely ridiculous.  You should feel comfortable enough around your family to bf with or without covering.  Thats really sad and I am sorry they would make you feel like it would be unacceptable.

In vain he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

PikachuLuver
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM
28 moms liked this

And kudos to your DH for sticking up for you!

SoInLove515
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM
4 moms liked this
I didn't want a bunch of people around my baby when he was that young anyway.
MochaBerry24
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM
5 moms liked this

well handled. 

.Nucking.Futs.
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM
6 moms liked this
You're covering... So I don't see why she'd have ANY issue?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM
30 moms liked this
Might be the bad guy but she has every right to ask you to breastfeed in private
Its her home
marilyn623
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM
5 moms liked this
Well, her house her rules. But I think thats silly. Especially if you use a nursing cover. I wouldnt go either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)