Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my niece got in trouble because of me. (breastfeeding related)

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 308 Replies
7 moms liked this

my niece is 6, almost 7 and the day camp she is at call my sister this morning because she had been sent to the time-out room. Why? for "breastfeeding" a doll!!!

I BF my son and my niece has seen it (with a cover). She knows that DS drinks "mommy's milk" and that this is how most babies are fed. I asked her about it a week or two ago and she said she didn't care. (he is the only baby after her)

My sister asked about the whole thing and apparently she was holding the doll to her chest (no her shirt was not pulled up) and when the teacher asked what she was doing she said she was feeding her and putting her down for a nap. Apparently it made the staff and other students "uncomfortable"!!

What in the world?? How is that time-out worthy? She can play house and pretend to be mommy but get in trouble for pretending to feed that baby in a way that has been normalized for her? What would you think?

ETA: Holy cow! this got featured...wow. I was just venting.

Ok, so I did talk to my sister. She never BF'd herself so she's not an outspoken advocate lol but she does agree that it was stupid for them to punish her for a natural action. As I said, it is a day camp, not a school so the "teacher" was a 17 year old helper. No, she did not get a warning before being sent to time out and no, she was not showing skin.

My sister did get the helper to apologize to both my sister and the director also apologized. I plan to take my niece out this weekend and tell her she did nothing wrong. 

I do have to add that my niece does get into trouble a bit (excessive talking, not following directions) so she is not totally innocent but this was not fair action for an otherwise innocent act.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wumbo
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:02 PM
51 moms liked this
Uncomfortable? What are they, 12 year old boys?
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:02 PM
78 moms liked this
Our society is full of such stupid people. Ugh. I'd be pissed that they put her in time out and if I were your sister I would be chewing someone's ass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crymsm
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM
6 moms liked this
*rolls eyes* people these days...
arigdon4
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM

my sister neverBF'd

Quoting Devious333:

Our society is full of such stupid people. Ugh. I'd be pissed that they put her in time out and if I were your sister I would be chewing someone's ass.

britmichele
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this
How stupid
momofne
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I agree!

Quoting Devious333:

arigdon4
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM

she's in a group of kids 6, 7 and 8

Quoting wumbo:

Uncomfortable? What are they, 12 year old boys?

momofne
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM
25 moms liked this

My son used to breastfeed his doll when he was like 4. God only knows what they would of said to that!

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM
9 moms liked this
Now your niece is being given the message that bfing is wrong...

Quoting arigdon4:

my sister neverBF'd

Quoting Devious333:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katemckenzie
by Kate on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM
5 moms liked this

What a bunch of idiots. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN