Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

those of u who have husbands that work in alaska on the fishing boats.....open this please!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Ok...s/o just got offered a place on a processing boat in alaska. He leaves for a month and they say he makes $14,000 by the time he comes back.Im pregnant due august 22nd he would leave by june 26th. Does anyone have any experience with this? How did it work out? Is it really hard work? Is it worth it?Im wondering because i have no clue and do not know if he should go!!!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
FL2AK
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Honestly, that sounds way too good to be true. I lived up there for 7 years and never heard of anyone earning that much first time out.
mamabearjkda
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM

From what I have heard it's extremely dangerous. There is a reason they offer so much money to go on those trips. August 22nd good day btw, my oldest son was born on august 22nd :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Yeah that scares me too :( and omg im sure that will make so feel safe a life insurance policy as a going away gift lol

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

Get a life insurance policy on him before he leaves. The show is called "Deadliest Catch" for a reason.

kissesxoxo8882
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I live in Alaska but I know nothing about the fishing boats I do know they pay very well

Ashley_Carlson
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

"Bye bye sweetie! Don't worry! I got life insurance on you!!"

"Wait, what?!"

"Love you!"

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah that scares me too :( and omg im sure that will make so feel safe a life insurance policy as a going away gift lol

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

Get a life insurance policy on him before he leaves. The show is called "Deadliest Catch" for a reason.

lovnmy3boys
by Paula on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:36 AM

My brother did that for several years, he loved it! The only problem he had was he worked for a private guy that had his own boat and my brother had a heck of a time getting paid, but he loved the job. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:36 AM
I agree. When s/o told me i was a little surprised by the number. His good friend is leaving monday and hes going on the same one s/o got offered to go on. So idk?

Quoting FL2AK:

Honestly, that sounds way too good to be true. I lived up there for 7 years and never heard of anyone earning that much first time out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Lmao so funny!!! I could imagine his face!!!

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

"Bye bye sweetie! Don't worry! I got life insurance on you!!"

"Wait, what?!"

"Love you!"

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this
well thats good to hear!! From what i know its a company well a bigger company. I am clueless on the subject...s/o sees the money but i want all the details!perferably from a lady on here thats delt with it!!

Quoting lovnmy3boys:

My brother did that for several years, he loved it! The only problem he had was he worked for a private guy that had his own boat and my brother had a heck of a time getting paid, but he loved the job. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN