Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should homebirth be outlawed

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Outlaw home birth?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1387

View Results

Why or why not?

Do you have a family member that had one? Was it favorable?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Replies (31-40):
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM
2 moms liked this

No. If they did that they would need to banish all choices that could or could not affect the healthy outcome of a child's life. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM
6 moms liked this

No. I have had two c-section deliveries. One emergency, one repeat planned. I will never give birth at home, and will only go to the OB that I trust as long as he is in practice.

That said, I am all for women having a CHOICE in who attends their delivery, and where they choose to deliver. I think there needs to be a TON of education on the risks of birthing at home, in a hospital, and in birthing centers. Fully informed choices are key, IMO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Still,,, and I'm allowed to have an opinion on why I don't like it right with out all of you all bashing me about it. Like its not nothing a body goes thru a lot in delivery personally i feel it's better to be around a hospital,,, is that still ok

Like anyone else feel free have ur kid how ever ya want I never said anything bad against ir

Quoting bowribbonmama:

Transferred you to a hospital. They are trained to deal with situations like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

At least there's doctors around like when I needed an emerg c section cuz my kid was breech and the cord was wrapped around her neck etc what could have a midwife done ? Let me die?

Quoting Anonymous:

And there's no risk of complications in a hospital? How about all those wonderful medical advances that increase the risk for death?

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know if outlawed is the word or not but I don't see how anyone could do it when there's risk of complications ,, like i know people do and it's their choice and their preference etc but being home seems a bad idea like cant people have midwives and whatever else at the hospital with them? Make a home birth wing that might be more comfy but accessible to emergency care if need be

Fightclmembr
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM
No, that's just insane.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:44 AM
8 moms liked this

Yeah, until they come with a court order and force of law to enforce it. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17403468

It's more than pushy OBs. I don't want to birth in a system that is always operating BEHIND the available research and recommendations. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it should be. 

Even if all 10 of your last births have went well...There can ALWAYS be problems and I think its worth it to suck it up and have a hospital birth.

Pushy OBGYN? Grow some balls and tell them how its going to be. Rude nurses at the hospital?  Its a 2-3 day stay. Get over it. 

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:44 AM
8 moms liked this

I had an unassisted homebirth in January of 2012 and it was the best experience! No complications and easiest recovery. My sister had 6 of her 7 kids at home and never had a single complication. Needless to say I don't think homebirths should be outlawed. Giving birth is a natural thing, not a medical problem. 

kiernansmom08
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:44 AM
I feel that the safest environment for childbirth is a hospital setting. I understand that others disagree and that's fine. I just feel that there are too many things that could go wrong and that the safest place for mother and baby is at a hospital. I've always held this belief, but my experiences in my 14 years as an emt have solidified it. I once watched a mother bleed to death just hours after her home birth for instance.

As I said, I'm aware my opinion is an unpopular one bur I stand by it nontheless. I have a lot of faith in the education and training of physicians.

Quoting Anonymous:

Can I ask why

Quoting kiernansmom08:

My opinion is yes. I have been bashed on here for it before and I am sure to be now as well, but that is my opinion.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:44 AM
3 moms liked this
So nothing ever goes bad with hospital births?
Fact: I know more women who've lost babies to stillbirths in hospitals than I do that have lost their baby with a home birth. Actually, I personally don't know ANYONE who lost their baby during a home birth.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it should be. 

Even if all 10 of your last births have went well...There can ALWAYS be problems and I think its worth it to suck it up and have a hospital birth.

Pushy OBGYN? Grow some balls and tell them how its going to be. Rude nurses at the hospital?  Its a 2-3 day stay. Get over it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:45 AM
4 moms liked this
No. I also think doctors should not deliver babies in most cases. I think that midwives should the majority of the time. I also believe that maternity wards should be set up differently.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:45 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

At least there's doctors around like when I needed an emerg c section cuz my kid was breech and the cord was wrapped around her neck etc what could have a midwife done ? Let me die?

Quoting Anonymous:

And there's no risk of complications in a hospital? How about all those wonderful medical advances that increase the risk for death?

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know if outlawed is the word or not but I don't see how anyone could do it when there's risk of complications ,, like i know people do and it's their choice and their preference etc but being home seems a bad idea like cant people have midwives and whatever else at the hospital with them? Make a home birth wing that might be more comfy but accessible to emergency care if need be

Midwives have been around for centuries. They are trained to know what to do in every circumstance. Even if that is to take you to the hospital. Most would just unwrap the cord. Not every wrapping of the cord around the neck is life and death.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)