Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Family guilty of racial stereotyping

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

My backyard faces a busy street in a racially diverse area. Yesterday was a very hot day and I have a nice backyard with a pool. I was sitting inside chatting with my sister looking out the window when a tall young African American guy walked past. Being tall he could see right over our tall brick fence and stopped to check out our yard. I laughed, cause I thought he was wishing he could take a dip in our pool - it being so hot. I waved at him from the window and smiled and he moved on. My sister said, "That's not funny. He's scoping for things of value." There have been multiple break-ins in our neighborhood this past year. And I have caught someone scoping our house before. Still, I felt like she said that just cause he was black.
We grew up with a racist mother and although my siblings do not approve of my mother's racism they are bad about racial stereotyping and making racist jokes - something I've always been intolerant of. I don't allow it in my house or around my children but they still seem to slip almost every time they come to visit. And then they laugh at my disapproval like it's not a big deal.
My husband is a non-hispanic latino. He immigrated here 4 years ago and just gained his american citizenship. But he, through my family, has caught on to the racist culture. When I mentioned the incident to him - that a man had walked by and checked out our yard - the first question he asked was, "Was he black?" Grrr! Yeah but what has that to do with it?

Growing up with such racism it was hard for me to stand up to my family and so maybe I'm a little uptight about such things. I just don't want my kids to grow up with that way of thinking. Am I making a big deal out of nothing or am I right to jump on my soap box?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

They are stereotypes for a reason.

Bulldog-Mommy10
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
That would really bother me too - I have to consistently correct a few in my extended fam! Keep bringing it up, your kids don't need to grow up hearing that bs

PS white people do bad things sometimes too! Maybe that's what you should do, actually... If they mention any kind of criminal activity (and the little ears are out of the room, or course) say "were they white? You never know what those Caucasians are going to do!" Maybe that'll get your point across!!!
ashellbell
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:04 AM
So should I assume young white men will probably open fire and commit mass spree killings?

Quoting Anonymous:

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM

She may be right. Not because he was black, but because there have been break-ins in the neighborhood. I would be suspicious of anyone looking over my fence.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Sure.

Quoting ashellbell:

So should I assume young white men will probably open fire and commit mass spree killings?

Quoting Anonymous:

gigis1
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Yikes. Just tell them not to say stuff like that around your kids
ashellbell
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Sweet. Just as long as we're stereo typing all races. I'd rather have my shit stolen than dealing with mentally deranged white people. Those fuckers are insane, kwim?

Quoting Anonymous:

Sure.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Anonymous:

kajira
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:09 AM

My best friend is black - we watched hairspray last night and my husband who's law enforcement and I were talking about racial sterotypes....

He told me that the black people who live in neighborhoods like seattle, generally aren't any different than the average white person, but you go to a ghetto, all black neighborhood, and you better watch out, because they often live up to the sterotypes.

I was sitting there flabbergasted that he'd say that, but he offered to show me some statistics and why there's some truth to the stero types then started lecturing me on safety in culterally diverse neighborhoods.

I guess I live in a bubble world and came from a middle class area, where the color of your skin never gave anyone a second glance.

my younger brother and sister were half mexican and my cousin has done foster care for kiddo's of all skin colors and it just never occured to me that such racism is still out there, and that the sterotypes still exist in certain areas and are a true danger risk in certain places.

I live in a bubble world i guess.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM

WTF? Is that Whoopi in the Color Purple?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)