Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dumbass just walked away

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
I went shopping earlier today for dinner. As I was getting bread I see a hispanic woman there looking for bread. I then hear her say in spanish 'excuse me do you guys sell this in a pack of two'? I turn around and I see her asking an employee for help and this dumbass broad just continues walking and ignores her.
So again the lady asked her the same thing and the employee turned and said what. I look at her and say you don't speak spanish and she says no. So I translate and the lady was very appreciative and walks away.
What pissed me off is the employee ignored her intentionally and looked at the hispanic lady as if she was stupid. Really? she should have learned to speak spanish working in a grocery store!
Vent over.

Eta: sorry should have mentioned it was a mexican market. I did not say the last line to "]iss people off".
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sweet0.0Cheeks
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this

you put that last line in there just to piss people off didn't you.. admit it.. 

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Even in Canada where we are bilingual we are not required to know two languages to work at a grocery store.
There are many times when I don't know someone is asking me something while working. Especially if they have an accent.
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this
If someone addresses me in a foreign language as I walk by...chances are I wont know they're talking to me...
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:08 AM
I agree. I was going a long with the story and I then I read the last line I'm like "so close"

Quoting Sweet0.0Cheeks:

you put that last line in there just to piss people off didn't you.. admit it.. 

tigerstripes12
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:09 AM

yeah i call troll

lidibolton
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:09 AM

while it was rude to ignore her i dont think it should be manditory to speak spanish workng in a grocery store

poietes
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Yes it was rude to walk away. Thats all Im going to say.
Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:10 AM

troll post almost landed, but crashed and burned

stepperbepper
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Wha? I don't think that should really be a requirment if you live in the USA...would it be nice? Sure...but expected? No.
TheMetal
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I live in a highly ethnic area and I do not feel that I should be expected to learn the language of every large group of foreigners that works or patronizes my vicinity. In this case, I would have to learn Arabic and Hindi and although learning Spanish in a grocery store setting would be useful, it is the communicator's responsibility to ensure that the person being communicated to understands the message. In other words, learn English.

That said, she should have still attempted to help the woman. Even knowing what little Spanish I do, I would have still been able to muse my way through the exchange. Blatantly ignoring a customer is in poor taste.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)